General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Realeme99
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer to Sturgis

Hi Folks

Has anyone taken a cargo trailer with their bikes to Sturgis (Buffalo Chip) and stayed in it there. I was thinking that I would trailer my bike to Sturgis and then stay in the trailer if it is not too hot. BUT...can I stay in the tent area? In other words has anyone of you stayed in the tenting area at "The Chip" beside your bike trailers. Even if we stay in a tent it would be nice to have your stuff right close at hand!

Thanks
Paul

Old 02-08-2009, 04:29 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master

Originally Posted by Realeme99
Hi Folks

Has anyone taken a cargo trailer with their bikes to Sturgis (Buffalo Chip) and stayed in it there. I was thinking that I would trailer my bike to Sturgis and then stay in the trailer if it is not too hot. BUT...can I stay in the tent area? In other words has anyone of you stayed in the tenting area at "The Chip" beside your bike trailers. Even if we stay in a tent it would be nice to have your stuff right close at hand!

Thanks
Paul
I can see the attraction to trailering your scoot(s), especially if you have a nice trailer. For me, the whole thing about Sturgis is being able to say "we rode there". Besides, think of all the beautiful roads/states you'd get to see from the saddle!
I can't comment about the tent areas, and yeah, it would save money to camp/trailer, but hey... this is the motorcycle experience of the year!

Old 02-08-2009, 04:45 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I take my house (motorhome) and enclosed garage (bike trailer) with me on most long trips. After a serious car accident the wife is not able to do many miles in one day. We still get there and get to ride once we are there.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Mr Zip
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put my bike in a trailer for the first time 3 weeks ago to get it to phoenix and a part of me died. Ride that bike if you can ride it. I'll never trailer a bike again.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:05 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, trailers aren't allowed in Sturgis. I think they are banned statewide even.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think trailering the bike to Sturgis is just fine, but you shouldn't be allowed to ride it after you get there. Trailer it along the Needles Highway, etc. Get the whole experience.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by EGlideKid
I can see the attraction to trailering your scoot(s), especially if you have a nice trailer. For me, the whole thing about Sturgis is being able to say "we rode there". Besides, think of all the beautiful roads/states you'd get to see from the saddle!
I used to think the same way.

But, there are times when a trailer is needed.

You can usually make better time in a cage, even with a trailer than on a scoot.

If you only have XX amount of days for vacation, you have to improvise.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:13 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you buy it to trailer or to ride?

Old 02-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Ricks Ride
Road Captain

Realeme99, I understand that life happens and I'm not going to bash you because of the trailer. I am sure that alot of these "hard" riders on here would trailer if their health or some other circumstance was the only way that they could still make the rallies. I wouldn't sweat it.

A friend of mine trailered to Sturgis two years ago and stayed at the Buffalo Chip. His wife's health precludes the long days on the bike. They stayed in a tent. He said that it wasn't bad, the only time that he spent in there was to stagger in and sleep for a few hours each day anyway.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I rode trough Sturgis this past summer for trailer week. Lets face it. Some people just don't want to ride that far for several different reasons. No problem with the trailer but a tent would probably be cooler to sleep in.

Last edited by ironheaddave; 02-08-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Trailer to Sturgis