General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering and alarms

Old 02-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Softail Girl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailering and alarms

I'm about to trailer my bike from Canada to Orlando and I have some concerns about setting off the alarm during the ride. A friend of mine rode in the trailer for a test-drive and he said that the alarm gets triggered all the time. What is going to happen 28 hours when we arrive at destination? Will my battery be dead?

And lastly, anyone knows of a way to disarm it for the trip?

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, DOH, put quieter pipes on the trailer, silly. And it won't set off alarms as you go by.

IF no one is riding in the trailer, is the alarm still WRONG??

Pull the fuse or the ground strap. Either way. (Psst, just make sure you reinsert fuse or reattach ground strap BEFORE you take it to the Harley dealer down there for a warranty claim cuz it won't start )

And LAST but not least, HAVE A GREAT TIME, SG. I be jellus!!!

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 02-17-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Double3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhook the battery?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Gerard
Road Master

I believe there is a "trailering" mode that you can set. I know my brothers Ultra has it and he uses it during trailering and never goes off. It is still alarmed so it would not get stolen off your trailer but won't go off because of getting bounced. Check your manual for trailering. It's a sequence of using your turn signal buttons to activate the "trailering" mode.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Spensergig
Novice
Default Will this do it?

Touring Models Owner's Manual, Page 129-130 (slightly paraphrased)

TRANSPORT MODE
(arm security system without enabling the motion detector. Allows bike to be moved in an armed state, but attepts to start the engine will trigger the alarm.)

1. Turn Ignition Swithch to IGNITION.
2. Set Engine Stop Switch to OFF.
3. With fob in range, turn Ignotion Switch to ACC.
4. Simultaneasly press both left and right turn signal switches, within 5 seconds of step 3.
5. After turn signals flash once, turn Ignition Switch to OFF - module is armed.
To Cancel:
With fob present, turn Ignition Switch to IGNITION to disarm HFSM. To cancel transport mode, set Engine Stop Switch to RUN.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:19 AM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to work on my SG the other day and the manual said to pull the main fuse before starting the work. Quess what....... the alarm went bonkers as soon as I pulled the fuse....it finally stopped after I fiddled with just about every combination on the switch. Not sure if that stopped it or if it just timed out ??? Looked in the manual to see how to disable it and could find nada on that subject. Just some info if you plan on pulling the fuse.....

Old 02-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Softail Girl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spensergig

TRANSPORT MODE
(arm security system without enabling the motion detector. Allows bike to be moved in an armed state, but attepts to start the engine will trigger the alarm.)

4. Simultaneasly press both left and right turn signal switches, within 5 seconds of step 3.
5. After turn signals flash once, turn Ignition Switch to OFF - module is armed.
To Cancel:
With fob present, turn Ignition Switch to IGNITION to disarm HFSM. To cancel transport mode, set Engine Stop Switch to RUN.
I have the same instructions in my owner's manual...... Thanks!
Since I joined this site, I never think about talking to the dealer OR looking in my book.

I love it guys!
Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gerard
I believe there is a "trailering" mode that you can set. I know my brothers Ultra has it and he uses it during trailering and never goes off. It is still alarmed so it would not get stolen off your trailer but won't go off because of getting bounced. Check your manual for trailering. It's a sequence of using your turn signal buttons to activate the "trailering" mode.
Somehow, somewhere, that just seems wrong. A "trailering mode" on an Ultra. NOT that it is, JUST seems that way.

Here's my 'trailering mode'. This way, NO ONE recognizes me!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spensergig

TRANSPORT MODE

To Cancel:
NOW I know why I put up with the earl drips from the pan and shovel.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Gerard
Road Master

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Somehow, somewhere, that just seems wrong. A "trailering mode" on an Ultra. NOT that it is, JUST seems that way.

Here's my 'trailering mode'. This way, NO ONE recognizes me!!!

I agree but sometimes it IS the destination and not the journey that matters. When you only have a few days vacation to visit friends and relation, time spent with them outweighs time on the road when you are going cross country imo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailering and alarms