General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perpaid Maintenance Contract

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:58 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you contact your local newspaper or television station to see if they will do a consumer ripoff story for you?
I can understand them having a new policy, but that should have no effect on an existing contract.
Tom

Old 02-18-2009, 03:02 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And.....does HD corporate know about this? They might be interested to know since he's throwing around the line, "....Harley has lawyers on staff, and they would handle any legal issues". Sounds like he might be blowing smoke and HD might not be too happy if he's making this up. Call his bluff and call corporate.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:10 PM
FatCityRocker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so sick of hearing about crap like this!!!! This is a total rip off....please be sure and post this HD dealer in the " BAD Dealers and Experiences" Thread on these forums, so everyone can know about these dirt bags.

I hope it all turns out good for you man....as HD owners we shell out enough cash....that we don't need to be raped like this!!!!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

They will probably take your bike at the 2,500 mile intervals they agreed to, wheel the bike in back ...... park it, do nothing and wheel the bike out sometime later.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted this response in your "Bad Dealers" description.

Steve, Wonder what would happen if you decided to alter the loan payments(which are written in a contract) to a lower amount?

I think since this is between you and Republic, he's BSing you about MoCo lawyers handling any legal matters.

You could always go to court and use the MoCo's pat answer of "Each H-D dealer is an independant and H-D has no control over what they do" for anything that comes up against them. Since they(Republic) set the terms of the contract & service intervals, H-D has no sayso in that. But I wonder if Republic might also use that same wording to say "We can change the terms no matter what MoCo says." I seriously doubt the MoCo is going to waste their expensive lawyers on a smaller matter. It's not like you're doing any kind of copyright infringement, right? Might even be worthwhile to send a nice detailed letter to H-D with a copy of the contract. Let them tell you they have nothing to do with it and then you can get back to Republic and when they use that "H-D has plenty of lawyers to handle legal matters" spring on them that H-D has already washed their hands of it and it's Republic's problem.

Might be a interesting topic to bring to the news media locally. You might be able to get information and contacts from others who have been hosed by Republic in same manner and get a class action suit against Republic, not the MoCo. H-D would probably be glad you didn't try to drag the corporation into a matter which is definitely an independant dealer problem.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:06 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The recommended service interval for a 2007 is 5K miles, not 2500. The Dealer in question has opted to better the factory's service intervals on their own. Harley's only stand in the matter would be their reccomended service interval. I'd say the Dealer is pretty much standing alone on this one because they authored the contract. Legally it is binding and unfortunately it will be up to you to take them to task. Hopefully you can work it out with them. If not, take them to court. Good luck on this one.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:53 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Maybe new contracts are different from yours and service people were uninformed and started talking before listening to you.
I really hate it when people act as if they are doing me a favor when they are just honoring their own previous agreement.
Might consider getting a refund $$ if possible for balance of contract and purchase a manual...do not forget parts manual so you can have part numbers to order online and save 20%

Old 02-19-2009, 09:13 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think I'd want to know WHY they didn't want to honor it. Is it because Republic changed and refused to pay for the 2500 mile intervals? If that's the case, you can't fault the dealership.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:17 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
Can you contact your local newspaper or television station to see if they will do a consumer ripoff story for you?
I can understand them having a new policy, but that should have no effect on an existing contract.
Tom
+1, I would also talk to the Owner of the dealership, let him know you have a binding contract, and you want it enforced, or you will consult legal matters

Old 02-19-2009, 09:28 AM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

Moral of this story: Do not EVER buy prepaid maintenance contracts.

Sorry you're having to deal with this BS.. I would take it to an attorney or small claims court.

Quick Reply: Perpaid Maintenance Contract