General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sert

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:50 PM
jacobp51
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sert

I've been searching the forums reading everything I can about what to do and what not to do when it comes to remapping the fuel injection after making some mods. I'm planning on putting some V&H Big Shots and a SE Stage 1 A/C on my new '09 Night Train. Looks like the most comprehensive routes for remapping the EFI is to use a Dynojet Power Commander (PCIII), or the Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner (SERT). I have found lots of info and dealers for the PCIII, but I can't find anything but opinions about the SERT. Where/how do I acquire one? How much do they cost? Is this a part my local HD dealer will have? I usually like to bargain shop on the web just because I hate paying the high delaer prices, but I'll do what it takes if I have to. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks - Jake

Old 02-19-2009, 05:55 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the sert,, is just a program, you buy from HD that downloads into your ECM.
once on the bike, its there for good, no take off, no resale..
lots of guys have it and like em.

Need a good HD dealer to set ya up!

Old 02-19-2009, 06:07 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Look at the TTS Mastertune system as well. I have a SERT and it works well but is pretty technical. The SERT and Mastertune systems give you the software for your computer and an interface module & cables to connect your computer to the bikes ECM module and actuall re-program it.

You might want to ask the guys in the Ignition/tuner/ecm threads as they know a lot more then me.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:44 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a sert done on my night train. once you use it on one bike it picks up the vin off of the bike and you can't use it on any other bike than the first one it was used on. and on how well it works it depends on who you have tune your bike. i know people that have had to have 3 or 4 tunes doesn't by different people to find a good one. each tune is anywhere from $250-400 depending on where you have it done. i got a really good one done on the dyno at my local harley shop and i can tell a big difference with the power and tq of my bike. if you have any motor work done i would go for it. research places that do dyno tuning and ask local people that have had it done who they went to and what they think of the tune.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a shop (indy) in San Marcos that did my friends 01 SE Road Glide after he had it tuned at two different places that really didn't know what they were doing. The shop in San Marcos did an awesome job on his tune. They got the SERT for him at a discount, installed and dynoed it. The local HD stores are not allowed to dyno bikes anymore so the only way to do it is with a good indy. Let me know and I'll dig out the phone number and address if you want to talk to them. They're located on or off of Barham across from Cal State San Marcos.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:33 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure if you can purchase a SERT anymore. It is a device that attach's and mates to your ECM through computer cables. It allows you with a computer to tune your own bike. You can download maps and tweak you ECM.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:04 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

You can buy a SERT from your HD dealer.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:59 AM
turczytj
Cruiser

It's actually called a SEST (Screaming Eagle Super Tuner) and it no longer comes with cables or software. A dealer does the tuning and programming. I recently paid $400 for mine. It appealed to me mostly because nothing stays attached to the bike ala PCIII. After changing the A/C and exhaust, the SEST reprogramming worked out fine for me. The bike runs great.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:38 AM
jacobp51
6th Gear

Thanks for all the information guys. I called my local Harley shop (SD Harley in Kearney Mesa) and they quoted me $840!!! WTF? They said they will tune the bike by reprogramming it (I'm assuming that means buying the SEST license and installing it on my ride) and by putting it on a Dyno. Takes a day to do, and there's a 2 week waiting period to due back log.

All I want to do is put my dang pipes and A/C on!! I already miss carburetors. A few hours of messing with the jets and you're done. This EFI stuff is already annoying. The precision of the system is awesome because of how much control you have over fuel management, but it also sucks because of how much control you have over fuel management. Too much technology!!

Thanks again - Jake

Old 02-20-2009, 10:47 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

I have the SERT and was not going to get it until I recently completed my motor rebuild. The SERT is reusable as long as it's on the same bike. It is NOT a program but more like hardware that enables you to retune the bike. I would not get it unless i was planning on doing a dyno tune however as if you just want to pump up the fuel ratio, get something that you can do yourself such as the power commander or ness big shot.

Post Script - I have a ness big shot that I am no longer in need of if anyone wants to buy it. It came off my 2007 Road King and if you are local I will help install it and program it for you as well.

Quick Reply: Sert