General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Nomenclature?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Neocane
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Nomenclature?

Not sure if I spelled nomenclature correctly or not, but I have a noob question that google can't seem to find. I'm about to purchase a new Street Glide this fall (after my truck is paid off), and I've always wondered what the FLxxx stands for in reference to all the different types of Harleys? I know that the Street Glide is an FLHX, but just what does FLHX (or any of the rest of them) stand for? Thanks in advance folks.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:39 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I'm not mistaken F - Big twin, L - Large frame, H - heavy suspension (touring), and on the Street Glide they just gave it an X to differentiate it's model code from that of the Electra Glide standard which is the FLHT.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:58 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you get past the second letter, you are on thin ice. If you google harley letter codes you will get a few resources but none of them are perfect, imho. In the Big Twins F means 74 or 80 or 88 or 96 cubic inches. At first it just meant 74. If you get FLH it used to mean high compression 74 OHV. Now, who knows? X in the first position meant 55 cubic inch, etc. HTH

Harley has always tried to create a mystique and they've been pretty successful. I mean how many companies can call a kickstand a jiffy stand and do it in writing? Crash bars are called engine guards, etc.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:11 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigG2009FLHRC
Once you get past the second letter, you are on thin ice. If you google harley letter codes you will get a few resources but none of them are perfect, imho. In the Big Twins F means 74 or 80 or 88 or 96 cubic inches. At first it just meant 74. If you get FLH it used to mean high compression 74 OHV. Now, who knows? X in the first position meant 55 cubic inch, etc. HTH

Harley has always tried to create a mystique and they've been pretty successful. I mean how many companies can call a kickstand a jiffy stand and do it in writing? Crash bars are called engine guards, etc.
In reference to your term Crash Guards. Why would you want to use the word Crash?
I do not think that any Motorcycle manufacturer would want to use the word crash. In fact I was corrected by a Harley Service tech, when I used the word crash, really bad connotation, when you think about it

I would much prefer to use the term Engine or Saddle Bag Guards.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:17 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned
Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 AM
GB_FXST
Road Warrior

I cannot recall it now, but a recent volume of AIM has an excellent article on the subject of model nomenclature.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't matter. Common usage is crash bars - always has been and will continue. I didn't make it up but nearly everybody but a Harley salesman says it and even they slip up in conversation sometimes. You must be a Harley salesman.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:27 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDUltraRider
Excellent site. Thank you

Old 02-20-2009, 09:29 AM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant help you with the letter system, but you DID spell 'nomenclature' correctly...

Old 02-20-2009, 09:31 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Harley Should use this one. FSWPALTC
For Screwing With People And Leaving Them Confused

Quick Reply: Harley Nomenclature?