General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bummer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Bummer!

One of my best friends, and long time riding buddies just sold his bike!
He is almost 50 years old, just married a 30 y/o wife, they bought a nice house together, she told him she could not have children (lied), he got her pregnant, she quit her job (she feels it best to be a stay at home mom), had to put the house on the market, and she convinced him that riding a Harley is not responsible behavior for a soon to be Dad!

This is his first wife and child so he although he's "older" he hasn't experienced this part of life.

I'm really angry with him, the bike was paid for, so it wasn't causing a financial burden, 99 Fatboy, absolutely beautiful, every mod you could imagine, heads, cams, big bore, tons of chrome etc., he even had two sets of tins for it! Here's the heart breaker... he sold it for $7500!

This was the first street bike I ever rode, the reason I chose a Fatboy, He is for the most part the reason I started riding.

I feel really bad for him, he's very old for a 50 year old (hasn't taken real good care of himself) and don’t have too many good years left. This guy was the epitome of "Live to ride, Ride to live", it saddens me to see him give up something he loves so much for a woman who is using / brainwashing him.

The worst part is by the time he figures out that you cant stop living your life just to make someone else happy, it may be to late for him.

He didn't even call me to let me know he was selling the bike, he knows what I would have said. If I had known I would have bought it and held onto it so I could sell it back to him after he figured what a mistake he was making.

Thanks for letting me vent guys (and gals).
Any comments?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Tbyrd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sad...I sold a bike once for my wife before we even got married. Then a year in, I wised up and bought my fat bob.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:24 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

1st wife cost me my Low Rider. Had to sell it to pay off bills she got us into before she left.

Too bad the guy is in the situation he's in. But, it's his choice. Just be there for him because I have a feeling he's going to fall pretty hard. I don't see that relationship lasting very long.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:24 PM
captain m
Road Master

Maybe your friend figured it was a time for change or needed some-one around to help out in his older years.Being 63 and living alone,I kinda start thinking that way once in a while,however,the bike stays above all.Like people on here tell me....Don't give up on him,he's still your friend.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:33 PM
1Coastie
Road Master

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
1st wife cost me my Low Rider. Had to sell it to pay off bills she got us into before she left.

Too bad the guy is in the situation he's in. But, it's his choice. Just be there for him because I have a feeling he's going to fall pretty hard. I don't see that relationship lasting very long.
Your right, my wife and I have both said it, their relationship is doomed!
Dave (my friend) is too much of a free bird to be tied down and controlled to this extent. Unfortunately when this marriage does fall apart, he's going to have 18 years of child support to deal with.

Captain M, your right too, he was lonely and needed someone; unfortunately he latched on to the first girl who came around.

He's gonna crash hard.... I feel bad for him.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh man that is a hard one...you know your friend best...so hard to say for us which way this is going to fall.

I made it clear as hell to my wife what come what may, I am always going to have a bike. Now she is preg with our first and wisely whe did not raise the point once about me giving up the bike. Sure I will ride less than i have, and I will be more carefull, I want to be around for my kid. But then I need my bike too!! as do most of us.

But I have known those that did give it up and never ended up regretting it. not sure I understand how/why...but hey I don't have to live with it.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Slaps
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1Coastie
Your right, my wife and I have both said it, their relationship is doomed!
Dave (my friend) is too much of a free bird to be tied down and controlled to this extent. Unfortunately when this marriage does fall apart, he's going to have 18 years of child support to deal with.

Captain M, your right too, he was lonely and needed someone; unfortunately he latched on to the first girl who came around.

He's gonna crash hard.... I feel bad for him.
Maybe he'll be lucky and get to keep the kid when/if it falls apart. It's harder for the guy to but not unheard of.

Best of luck friend. My best friend has a GF who does nothing (no cooking or cleaning or anything) just stays at home and watches TV while he works 40-60hrs a week and shes not even with child just lazy and crazy.

Hope he drops the chick, keeps the kid and gets a new bike.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM
1Coastie
Road Master

I just want the guy to be happy, and right now I know he's not. We used to talk several times a week, just to shoot the $hit, now we hardly ever talk. I get the feeling she thinks I'm a bad influence on him and gives him grief for socializing with me and my wife. My wife also used to ride on the back of his bike with him before I got mine, and I think there is some jealousy there.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM
DMas
Road Master

He'll wake up someday and need your friendship. Right now he's whipped.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:33 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

All I can say is wow!!!

Quick Reply: Bummer!