General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bring a pet dog on the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 01:35 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Bring a pet dog on the bike?

My wife has a little white fur ball dog, a poodle type thing. I'm considering getting one of them pet carriers and straping it onto the luggage rack and bringing him with us on the occasional camping trip. My concern is the loudness of the pipes hurting his ears. I think he has about 10 times better hearing than a human to begin with, and he won't be wearing a helmet to baffle the noise.

What do you all think? anyone done it, if so can your pooch still hear when you call him?

Old 03-05-2009, 02:42 PM
LookMaNoHands
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd thought about bringing mine along on road trips, although in my case she's a 60lb Chessie and would require a trailer. In the end I decided she would have way more fun being boarded in a place with other dogs to play with than spending all day riding along. The boarding place I found is 20 something a day and has a full size pool (chessies are drawn to water like dirt to vivid black paint). Last year she ate every scrap of food we sent and still lost 10 lbs from playing hard.

My $0.02, worth roughly 1/2 that in the current economy...

Old 03-05-2009, 02:47 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
My wife has a little white fur ball dog, a poodle type thing. I'm considering getting one of them pet carriers and straping it onto the luggage rack and bringing him with us on the occasional camping trip. My concern is the loudness of the pipes hurting his ears. I think he has about 10 times better hearing than a human to begin with, and he won't be wearing a helmet to baffle the noise.

What do you all think? anyone done it, if so can your pooch still hear when you call him?

I'd be more concerned about being seen on my bike with a crappy little dog......what are you Paris Hilton? leave the damn thing at a kennel.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CRF
I'd be more concerned about being seen on my bike with a crappy little dog......what are you Paris Hilton? leave the damn thing at a kennel.
Nothing like a constructive comment to help a guy out.

Sammi

Old 03-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammi
Nothing like a constructive comment to help a guy out.

Sammi
Sounded constructive to me. If the guy already has doubts as to the well being of the dog then he already knows the answer to his delema and is only searching for positive feedback from other pooch carrying people. That and the fact that he says it's a little fury "poodle type" dog. That just ain't manly.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the tips about "manly" dogs.

I'll check Google for a list of dogs that are appropriatefor "manly" motorcycle enthusiasts.

LOL

Sammi

Old 03-05-2009, 04:04 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My hubby wants to do that too. We have 2 small dogs (about 15 and 20 lbs)...The are not tiny by any means but they are part Bicchon..so they are a smaller size.

My concern was about the wind in their ears & nothing to obstruct objects from flying at them...or protection for their eyes. I know what it's like as a passenger getting hit with flying debris when riding without eye protection ... That would freek my boys out! I know a lot of people ride with their dogs & cats all the time. I just wonder how they protect their 'babies'.

Last edited by bikergirl40; 03-05-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't think a Bicchon is on the "manly " list.

Sammi

Old 03-05-2009, 04:13 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammi
I don't think a Bicchon is on the "manly " list.

Sammi
But .... on our side of the fence ... they think they are 10 ft tall and bulletproof!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:14 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine's too fat. black lab 80 lbs. Oh yeah, he's too lazy too, but I love him anyway

Quick Reply: Bring a pet dog on the bike?