General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling below MSRP....

Old 03-09-2009, 04:12 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Typically, anything that is dated will decrease in price the older it gets. For instance, if you buy a T-shirt in Sturgis that says the current year ... The price will be at it's highest...Subsequent years that T-shirt may still be offered for sale but a much lower price. Much the same applies with the auto industry.

This is a buyers market .... which means there are so many dealerships overloaded with stock that is quickly becoming outdated, that they are becoming more willing to wheel and deal because the usual trend of sales is in the crapper right now.

That's why the price on a 'new' never been sold 2008 model is much more flexible in this current year. Come summer, and once we get into the latter part of their peak season, prices will deflate for the 2009's too ... in an attempt to make way for the next years models.

Last edited by bikergirl40; 03-09-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:14 PM
hoglaw
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2009 Road Glide this weekend from Seminole H-D in Sanford, Fl. The salesman knocked $2,000 off before we even started talking price. I had two trades and am extremely pleased with the final price. So, the answer to the question here in central Florida is, yes, they are dealing.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:39 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Look for a leftover 2008 and low ball offer on it. The local dealer here has bikes out the....

Last edited by wbogley; 03-09-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:16 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Where are some of you getting this magic number of $1,500 off MSRP? How are you coming up with this figure? Are you just pulling it out of your a$$ or what?

I haven't been to a lot of different dealers in the past few months but even here in Vegas they are willing to deal. And for anyone who has been to one of the Vegas dealers, they have never had to do this. If fact, they have usually started out above MSRP on some bikes.

I've said this on here before, SHOP AROUND. One dealer may be willing to give you a better deal than the other. And then try and figure out what a "better deal" really is to you. Is it a lower cost up front, or discounts in the future, some free stuff when you buy? Each deal is different.

It also depends on what type of bike you want. My local dealer in Oregon couldn't give away the 3 Vrods they had on the floor a few years back. They just don't sell the well in Oregon and I got a great deal when I bought mine.

But they can't seem to keep a Street Glide in stock. At that time, they didn't need to offer any discount on the Street Glide because they were their best seller.

First figure out what MSRP actually is and go from there. You gotta have a starting point. Offer the first dealer you go to an price and see what they say. DO NOT BUY on your first visit unless you are 100% happy with the entire deal.

When I bought my bike I just called all the dealers within 150 miles of me and told them what I was willing to pay. Some said come in a we can "talk" and some said they wouldn't be able to get close. Besides the type of bike, it also depends on the dealer. Like I said, they may have a better selling bike and not willing to offer as much off as another dealer. But I start with a percentage like 10% off MSRP and not a set figure like $1,500. The dealer would be more likely to give you $1,500 off a fully dressed bike with an MSRP of $25,000 than they would off one in the $14,000 range.

If you can get 10% off, you did great in my opinion.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:27 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In our area they are listing for msrp out the door as a starting point in negotiating a deal.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 PM
tonov12
Cruiser

No doubt it depends on location. My closest dealer isn't willing to move much off of MSRP plus fees and setup. I know of at least 4 different bikes that they have sold in the last couple weeks. Those are just the new ones that I paid attention to. The dealer I bought my bike from another 50 miles away said that they have sold a record number of bikes in 09 so far. He told me that he's already sold 9 Sporty Irons. Of course I take those types of comments with a grain of salt since dealers tend to exaggerate a bit. But it really doesn't seem like they are having any trouble selling bikes.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 PM
gsport
Advanced

Originally Posted by frankjake
Where are some of you getting this magic number of $1,500 off MSRP? How are you coming up with this figure? Are you just pulling it out of your a$$ or what?

MARCH MOTORCYCLE MADNESS
Saturday, March 7th
Sunday, March 8th

All new Dyna®, Softail®, VRSC™, and Touring models
$1500 off MSRP!*
All new Sportster® models
$750 off MSRP!*

Get 25% Off
Genuine Harley-Davidson® Parts and Accessories,
MotorClothes®, and Licensed Products
this weekend!**
(If it's not in stock, we can order it - and you'll still get 25% off!)

Also register to win
A FREE 3-DAY/2-NIGHT STAY
IN LAS VEGAS or RENO!***
(Two prizes to be given away!)

Riding season is here!
Don't pay Big City prices!

* Offer applies to any new untitled motorcycle in stock. Does not include DMV.
** Excludes motorcycles, engines, transmissions, thermostats for heated clothing, service, painted parts,
prior special orders or purchases, and owner rings. Cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions.
*** No purchase necessary. Does not include transportation.
FREE H-D® GRILL SET

This weekend, when you spend $300 or more*,
receive a free Harley-Davidson® Custom Grill Set!

Grill set includes a custom-molded Harley-Davidson® exclusive grill,
a set of tongs, a spatula, and a carrying bag.
The grill and tools are made of heavy-duty steel
and feature the distinctive Bar and Shield logo.

Limited quantity on hand.
Only available while supplies last!

* Applies to purchases of genuine Harley-Davidson® Parts and Accessories, MotorClothes®, and Licensed Products.
Limit one per customer while supplies last.
American Motorcycle Classics
1600 Century Drive NE
Albany, OR 97322
www.amchd.com
Click here for store hours and map.

To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:28 PM
hoofnhog
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

3 weeks ago, I bought a '09 RK Classic ,(in the limited 2 tone root beer),for $1600 under MSRP with no shipping, no set up, no doc fee nonsense, and they swapped the wheels and tires for me, and gave me the smoked screaming eagle windshield that came on the '08 SERKs, and added the security system.

It's been a long Winter here in Maine, and this was a cash deal, no trade, wrote a check for it, so the sale went right to cash flow for them, they didn't have to dick around trying to sell the paper..... this is the hungriest I have seen a HD dealer in my neck of the woods...way different then when I bought my '03!

Last edited by hoofnhog; 03-09-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Campingout
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Local dealer was doing "We pay first three payments" max of $500 each payment, during the month of Feb. Not on their website now.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 PM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

last weekend a buddy of mine in Vegas was at a "tent sale" and looked at a 09 rkc- $3k under msrp- the other baggers were 1-2k under msrp- he asked why and was told that the particular rkc had been on the floor over 90 days hence the steeper discount..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Selling below MSRP....