General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paints comin off

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Paints comin off

Was washin my bike yesterday, a place about 3 1/2 " long on the down tube on the right hand side between the side marker and the mastercylinder came off while I was squirting it with the water hose. So I called the HD dealer who was gonna return my call.

Got a call from the HD dealer who called Wisconson. He was told they could do a Harley touch up. which means they clean up the place and use touch up paint in a bottle to touch it up. The place is 3 1/2 inch tall how many bottles of touch up paint would you thing they would have to use to touch it up.
I will sand it myself and tape everything up and git a can of rustoleum paint and paint it myself.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:05 AM
mongoose
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a belt. Or suspenders.

Oh, you said paints.

Never mind.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:58 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If paint is peeling off your frame chances are it was not prepped correctly at the factory. I would take it in if it is still under warranty to establish a claim because the chances that more paint wil peel off are pretty good. This happens to very few bikes but the ones that it does happen to suffer from lots of rust & corrosion. Once you accept it and repair it yourself like that your claim is toast.

I would also send a certified letter to Harley Davidson noting the problem with photos and request a new frame or an extended warranty on your existing frame to cover any repairs. Keep copies of all of your documentation.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:28 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

What year is your bike?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:32 PM
jskelington
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mongoose
Try a belt. Or suspenders.

Oh, you said paints.

Never mind.
That's funny,that's what I thought when I first read the thread. Either way, that can't be good.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:40 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it's near the master cylinder is there any chance brake fluid may have gotten on the paint?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
If paint is peeling off your frame chances are it was not prepped correctly at the factory. I would take it in if it is still under warranty to establish a claim because the chances that more paint wil peel off are pretty good. This happens to very few bikes but the ones that it does happen to suffer from lots of rust & corrosion. Once you accept it and repair it yourself like that your claim is toast.

I would also send a certified letter to Harley Davidson noting the problem with photos and request a new frame or an extended warranty on your existing frame to cover any repairs. Keep copies of all of your documentation.
Ain't gonna git mutch planer, than this. And post pics here, too, so we KNOW YOU DID IT.
And keep a copy of this thread to prove the dates, also.

BUT once you have ALL that in place, and IF they do not want to do anything about it, THEN do the sand, tape and paint. For touch ups like that, I use NAPA TECnique self etching primer, and then either the same brand, TECnique, chassis black, or gloss black, whichever matches best. It just happens to be NAPA's brand, but has worked really well for me, and very reasonably priced for the quality. BUT JMO.
OOPS, almost forgot. IF you want to use this indoors without good ventilation, BE CAREFUL. Yep, it works GREAT, cause it's nasty, chemically. But you are doing a small area, just wanted to let you know.

BUT in case I screwed up reading the OP, and it is your PANTS that's the prob, here ya go, Son, these work for me:

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 03-09-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know what's goin on with this site, I never git a reply to me on the mail.

Here is a picture

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...09-09_1306.jpg

Old 03-09-2009, 03:59 PM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

thats bolloxd get em to replace it or pay to have it powder coated, cause it aint pretty

Old 03-09-2009, 04:09 PM
jhall201
Cruiser

You're definitely going to want to take it into the dealer. I want to say that most of Harley's frames are powdercoated. It should not be flaking off. +1 on the not prepped correctly. Take to the dealer and have them fix it.

Quick Reply: Paints comin off