General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome scratches... I screwed up...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Chrome scratches... I screwed up...

... and I hate to admit it... I had boot juice on my Rush slip-on. I tried degreasers, but it just didn't come off to my satisfaction, so... I sprayed Gunk on a hot slip-on, then took a dishwashing pad that had a brillo-type scrubber on one side... Well you guessed it - instant surface scratches! Does anyone suggest a chrome polish/rubbing compound? Man, it looks like crap... Rush uses flimsy chrome plating on their exhausts...

Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I don't think fault here lies with Rush. Those dishwashing brillo pads can be brutal to any finish. For future reference, use Steel Wool #0000. Seriously. The mesh is too fine to scratch the surface of the chrome, but abrasive enough to take boot rubber/ road tar off of exhaust. I've been using it for years.

They sell it just about anywhere, Wally World carries it for sure.

Oh, and for polish I like the tried and true Simichrome polish in the yellow tube. You can get that at the dealer or any auto shop. I can't guarantee it will take out the scratches, but it might.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Phrogman
Actually, I don't think fault here lies with Rush. Those dishwashing brillo pads can be brutal to any finish. For future reference, use Steel Wool #0000. Seriously. The mesh is too fine to scratch the surface of the chrome, but abrasive enough to take boot rubber/ road tar off of exhaust. I've been using it for years.

Oh, and for polish I like the tried and true Simichrome polish in the yellow tube. You can get that at the dealer or any auto shop. I can't guarantee it will take out the scratches, but it might.
Thanks! I'm guessing I will need to use a buffing wheel?

Old 03-09-2009, 02:49 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't blame your Rush chrome, they have a very good finish. No chrome is going to hold up under a scotchbrite pad.

Unless the scratches are very fine you're probably not going to have a good result. You can try 0000 steel wool with Mothers chrome polish. Keep the pad very wet with polish.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:50 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I use turtle wax polishing compound and a soft cloth on chrome stains. Works very well. Let the pipe cool off first and then rub out the stain. As far as your light scratches, I'd say you're screwed.

Last edited by carpetride; 03-09-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

You can, but good old elbow grease is the best way to go. Using a buffing wheel can generate too much friction and cause even more damage.

Now, if you keep it moving and don't stay in one spot too long, you'd be okay, just be careful.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:54 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Next time try Easy Off oven cleaner overnight. Usually does the trick without the scratches although it may take a couple of applications.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 PM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way to fully remove the scratches from a brillo pad on chrome.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:02 PM
midlife rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phrogman

Phrogman - Do you use anything with the 0000 when removing the boot marks? Thanks

Old 03-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by midlife rider
Phrogman - Do you use anything with the 0000 when removing the boot marks? Thanks
You can use the Simichrome polish or even just 409 or Windex. Anything that will soften it up just a bit.

I've heard that the oven cleaner works pretty good too, but I've never personally done that.

Quick Reply: Chrome scratches... I screwed up...