General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow Leak in New Tires. What To Do???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Chas63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slow Leak in New Tires. What To Do???

I bought a used 2005 EGC from the local Harley dealer about 3 1/2 months ago. The dealer had put 2 brand new Metzeler tires on the bike just before I bought it.

I checked the tire pressure a few days after I bought the bike and everything was OK. Then, about 2 weeks ago, I checked the tire pressure again. The front tire was down to about 34 pounds, but the rear tire was down to 18 pounds. Wow. This is scary.

Thirteen days ago (on Feb 25) I put 37 pounds of pressure in each tire. When I checked the tire pressures yesterday, the front tire was 36 pounds, but the rear tire was down to 34 pounds. So the rear tire had lost 3 pounds in a little less than two weeks.

While this may not seem like a big loss of air pressure, it's pretty darn aggravating to have to add air every couple of weeks. I checked both tires and could find no nails or anything that might cause a loss of air. I've been doing some riding in the past few months. I've put about 1500 miles on the bike since I bought it.

So what should I do? Shouldn't these tires (especially the rear tire) hold the air pressure better than they do? Are these new tires guaranteed?

Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: See post #21 on page 3 for an update.

Chas

Last edited by Chas63; 03-12-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:00 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,435 Likes on 875 Posts

Just go back to the dealer & have them take care of it. What else can you do?

Old 03-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Slowpoke84
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the tires were already on the used bike when you bought it, you'd be SOL. But since the dealer put 'em on brand new when you bought the bike... I'd just give 'em a call. If they're a good dealer, they'll make it right.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

You can also check your Schroeder valves . You will need the tool to tighten or remove them. It's not uncommon for them to loosen with time especially when new if not tightened all the way . You can test them your self by spraying soap on them with the cap removed. If you see bubbles you have a leak. You also can get valve caps that have o-rings in them.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Basically 3 possiblities, WELL, 4 if you count a chitty tar, which I find hard to believe, BUT possible.
1. You could have a real chitty casting for a wheel. NOT likely, as you just took a set of tires off. So throw that one out. (Even tho that was a REAL prob with the first cast wheels. I run tubes in mine)
2. Next, a bad Schrader valve. (the valve stem). Take the cap off, put a tad of 'spit' or soapy water over it, see if it bubbles up. IF NOT, then see # 3. Put a li'l 'round the base, where it goes thru the wheel, too. (Anyplace rubber and metal meet, is a possible leak)
3. You have a bead leak. Take it back to the dealer, Just explain to them, what is happening. They should, and BETTER break 'em down, and remount 'em for ya, FREE of charge. I would.
But you can diagnose it, so you can tell them what you found. IF you walk in at least 'sounding' like you know, they are a li'l less likely to give you the 'snow job'. YES, I did say "SNOW" job!!!!

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 03-09-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a jack, jack it up and get some soapy water and a rag. Spin the wheel and apply soapy water liberally to the tire, paying particular attention around the rim/bead area. Watch for bubbles.

Also, check and ensure your valves aren't leaking. The rear one might just need a bit of tightening.

Oh, and keep temperatures in mind wild fluctuations between cold and warm temperatures can cause tires to lose pressure quickly. Since you're in Florida, I know you've seen temps from the 30s to the 80s in the last few weeks, because I have too. My wife's front tire went almost completely flat in two weeks, hasn't dropped a pound since.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your front tire is normal. The rear tire is losing a little too much, but not to the point of being anything more than annoyance. 18 lbs is scary, but 3 months is way too long to go between checks.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

remove the sea air,,, get some fresh mountain air!!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:25 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you jacked the bike up and looked for nails ?
If the soapy water down work take the tires off and put them in a large rectanguar tub of water and rotate it, you will find a leak.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I check my tires every week. So should you. The valve stem is probably leaking. Like the other guys said, spray it with soapy water and look for bubbles, but resist the urge to crank it down really tight, or you might make it worse. Tighten it gently until the bubbles stop. If the internal part of the valve leaks you can replace it easily.

Quick Reply: Slow Leak in New Tires. What To Do???