General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife has taken the leap

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
backpeddler
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife has taken the leap

After years of riding on the back of my bike the wife has always said she wanted to learn to ride. She has been waiting for some of the other gals in our group to want to take the course with her and finally got tired of waiting. We stopped by the local Harley dealer and she sat on a bunch of bikes. At 5'2 she is somewhat limited especially on stock bikes on the dealer floor. After sitting and feeling the bikes under her she walked over to the riders edge desk and said sign me up. A month out so she has some time. Although I want her to have some say in what bike she wants she is letting me have some influence on what would be a good first bike.

At the Harley dealer there was a used 883L already set up with windshield and engine guard. She really liked the bike. But the next day I took her to a Honda dealer and let her sit on the Shadow Aero 750. Feet touched the ground flat and the weight and balance really felt comfortable for her. They had an 07 that was new never sold on the floor in red. She loved that color and the bike. May look out at the used market but the dealer was willing to sell me that bike at $5200 which aien't bad. After leaving the Honda dealer she looked at me and said I trust your judgement on what bike would be best to learn on. but I just want you to know I will be a Harley girl! I laughed so hard I cried. She never cracked a smile.

So she will be done the riders edge in mid April. We will more than likely get a Honda Shadow 750 and she will ride on the back of mine in Myrtle come May. I don't think a big rally after a month of riding is a great idea for a newbie who will be nervpous as it is. Then when we get home let her do the back roads and work her up to next years rally on the Harley of her choosen. I am excited and I know she is too.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Slaps
Road Master

Grats man. I like the idea of letting her try out a few and then seeing what she is comfortable on. She can always get something else later on.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:13 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations and that sounds like an excellent plan. The biggest thing for me was consistent riding after passing the course. Started every ride for a month or so with going down the road to a school parking lot and practicing what I learned in the course which helped to reinforce good habits. Then, just hung out on the backroads for a month or so before I tackled riding in small town traffic, and then from there, the interstate. The important thing is for her to stay within her comfort zone until she is ready to try something new. Best wishes to the two of you.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Juno
Banned

Originally Posted by backpeddler
After years of riding on the back of my bike the wife has always said she wanted to learn to ride. She has been waiting for some of the other gals in our group to want to take the course with her and finally got tired of waiting. We stopped by the local Harley dealer and she sat on a bunch of bikes. At 5'2 she is somewhat limited especially on stock bikes on the dealer floor. After sitting and feeling the bikes under her she walked over to the riders edge desk and said sign me up. A month out so she has some time. Although I want her to have some say in what bike she wants she is letting me have some influence on what would be a good first bike.

At the Harley dealer there was a used 883L already set up with windshield and engine guard. She really liked the bike. But the next day I took her to a Honda dealer and let her sit on the Shadow Aero 750. Feet touched the ground flat and the weight and balance really felt comfortable for her. They had an 07 that was new never sold on the floor in red. She loved that color and the bike. May look out at the used market but the dealer was willing to sell me that bike at $5200 which aien't bad. After leaving the Honda dealer she looked at me and said I trust your judgement on what bike would be best to learn on. but I just want you to know I will be a Harley girl! I laughed so hard I cried. She never cracked a smile.

So she will be done the riders edge in mid April. We will more than likely get a Honda Shadow 750 and she will ride on the back of mine in Myrtle come May. I don't think a big rally after a month of riding is a great idea for a newbie who will be nervpous as it is. Then when we get home let her do the back roads and work her up to next years rally on the Harley of her choosen. I am excited and I know she is too.
Do you ride a Metric too? I've seen several 05-06 1200 customs for sale by private sellers for $5500-$6000 with limited mileage. If you yourself ride a Harley, buying your wife a Rice Burner is the same as cheating on her!!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:21 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

Originally Posted by Juno
Do you ride a Metric too? I've seen several 05-06 1200 customs for sale by private sellers for $5500-$6000 with limited mileage. If you yourself ride a Harley, buying your wife a Rice Burner is the same as cheating on her!!
No it's not. Lots of the ladies started out on a Honda or some other metric that was a lighter, easier to handle, confidence builder. Then turn around and sold it and got a Harley once they were sure they liked riding their own and felt ready for a bigger bike. Nothing at all wrong with going that route first, especially for someone who is just 5'2".

Old 03-12-2009, 12:30 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my wife a metric to learn on.....big mistake. I lost a thousand buck trying to unload it on somebody. Nothing was wrong with it, just nobody wanted it. Yammy 650.

There is a reason the Honda dealer has a new '07.

My wife is 5'2" also. She can flat foot her Deluxe easily.

It is your call but if I had it to do again.......

oops sorry GG. we were posting at the same time. and I'm not disagreeable....

Old 03-12-2009, 12:32 PM
bullseye
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand both the reasons for starting on a metric but I'm like RoadKingRon, my wife is 5'1" and started on a lowered Dyna which beat her to death and now rides a Deluxe and touches the ground just fine.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

I'm not saying I'd get a new Honda, but if it's a deal and something she feels able to handle without feeling intimidated, then by all means. I bought a used and lowered Sporty 883 with a Stage 1kit and SEII's on it before I even took the MSF course and loved that bike. But I did ride dirt as a kid and have ridden horses all my life so it being a top heavy balance issue was never a problem for me. I took a beating trading that sucker in on my Deluxe. My husband also started out on a Sporty, a 1200, and likewise took a beating at trade in for his RK. Yeah, yeah, we should have sold them outright, but that was going to take too long and we still would probably have lost $$$. Most do; some don't. This ain't a cheap hobby people.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:43 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl
No it's not. Lots of the ladies started out on a Honda or some other metric that was a lighter, easier to handle, confidence builder. Then turn around and sold it and got a Harley once they were sure they liked riding their own and felt ready for a bigger bike. Nothing at all wrong with going that route first, especially for someone who is just 5'2".
Yeah and there are those that will stay with the likes of the Aero while their spouse still rides the Harley. That Shadow Aero is an awesome ride with a heritage that actually goes back to 1983 and today it remains close to the top in terms of cruiser sales for Honda. At roughly 520 pounds the bike has a great feel and the power is far superior to the 883 Sportster. It's a solid platform, very reliable and well loved by those who own them. The bike runs extremely smooth around town or out on the open road. I think this is a great choice for her.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:49 PM
backpeddler
Advanced

Yes I ride a Harley! For me her wanting a Harley is so far down the priority list it aien't funny. A newbie who has never rode a motor bike needs two things comfort and confidence is #1. I would rather lose a $1,000 on a Honda than lose her confidence. Second if you have never rode before how do you know what that first harley should feel like? I am hoping if she knows the Harley is coming down the line she will put lots of miles on the Honda and get comfy and experience in riding. Then have the great experience of going to look for the first Harley.

Wish there were more bikes around that were lowered and maybe have a narrower seat for the short people to try. I personally think the Deluxe and woman are just a great look. As soon as she sits on a stock Deluxe she isn't comfortable. Most guys don't get the experience of sitting a on a 600-880lb machine for the first time and holding it up on the tip toes. I'm 6'2 and can only imagine that must be intimidating.

Quick Reply: Wife has taken the leap