General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is the fastest 1/4 mile bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Fred00
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P47
All is not as bad as it seems. My riding buddy rides a metric, a Benelli Trek. It theoretically can go over 150MPH. However, as with all metrics you have to be running some pretty high RPMs to get instant excelleration. Most people do not cruise around at these high RPMs. When we are fooling around in the 65 to 95 MPH range, my big V twin with its higher torque in the lower RPM range, can always out run him.
That's a common misconception. The crotch rockets have some of the best instant acceleration numbers on the market, especially the bigger ones (naturally). In a top gear roll-on situation from 60mph a Harley has absolutely zero chance. Here you have some numbers:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/pe...lts/index.html

The '07 Screamin' Eagle Dyna can't even hang with a 600cc crotch rocket in that kind of roll-on test. The Harley would have to downshift a gear or two to hang with the 600. The 1000s in 6th gear would probably beat that Dyna in any gear.

Either you have a very souped-up Harley, or there's something wrong with his Benelli...

Old 03-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Eyes of Texas
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcrider1
I could be wrong, but I believe a Benelli is Italian, not metric?
What do you think metric is?

It's a standard of measurement. Metric (now SI)is what the rest of the world uses, while the United States and s couple other countries still use 'standard' or US.

If you measue in inches, miles and gallons then you're standard. Kilometers, centimeters and liters then you're metric.

Italy uses the metric system on it's motorcycles. They're metric.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:24 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyes of Texas
What do you think metric is?

It's a standard of measurement. Metric (now SI)is what the rest of the world uses, while the United States and s couple other countries still use 'standard' or US.

If you measue in inches, miles and gallons then you're standard. Kilometers, centimeters and liters then you're metric.

Italy uses the metric system on it's motorcycles. They're metric.
You are correct there, but in all my years I've never heard of any Italian bike referred to as metric. Since HD also lists stuff like 1340cc and 1450cc, I guess you could call them metrics too?

Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM
WGJ
6th Gear

I'm just as much of a gear head as anybody, but I know if I were to dump thousands of dollars into my Harley, the only bikes I could outrun would be other Harleys.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:26 PM
P47
Tourer

Never would I assume that my Harley could beat a crotch rocket in a 60 to 80 MPH roll on, as is proved by the numbers. The situation I'm refering to is both of us cruising along at probably 3500 RPM. After following his Benelli for awhile I'll decide to blow by him for some fun. All it takes is that 1-2 second jump on him and we would both be doing 100 MPH before he caught me. I guess the difference is that it is never a "ready, set, go" situation. I do need the jump, but I have never been embarassed that my Harley is slow. And thank goodness he doesn't ride a Busa. Just as an FYI, he bought the Benelli at Simi Valley Harley Davidson, an authorized Benelli dealership. Boy have I srewed up this thread.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Fred00
Road Captain

Originally Posted by P47
Never would I assume that my Harley could beat a crotch rocket in a 60 to 80 MPH roll on, as is proved by the numbers. The situation I'm refering to is both of us cruising along at probably 3500 RPM. After following his Benelli for awhile I'll decide to blow by him for some fun. All it takes is that 1-2 second jump on him and we would both be doing 100 MPH before he caught me. I guess the difference is that it is never a "ready, set, go" situation. I do need the jump, but I have never been embarassed that my Harley is slow. And thank goodness he doesn't ride a Busa. Just as an FYI, he bought the Benelli at Simi Valley Harley Davidson, an authorized Benelli dealership. Boy have I srewed up this thread.
Okay, that makes more sense.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Race me from San Diego to Miami and lets see if the crotch rocket wins...

Old 03-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
It's funny to hang around Harley guys and listen to them talk about modding their bikes for power adding this, boring that, then telling how bad their machine is. As soon as somebody reminds 'em that a stock 600cc sportbike will still smoke 'em, the Harley guys quickly change the topic to cruising, style, heritage, or anything else that is totally away from performance.....LOL.
I plan on surprising a few.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
I'm not saying that you can't invest $5,000, $10,000 or whatever into a Harley to give it quite a bit of horsepower, but if you are into "go fast" mode and looking for a reliable street bike that doesn't need to be tuned or rebuild every month you will never match the performance offered by some of the metrics.

I've owned nothing by Harleys since 1970, but if I wanted something that is considered a fast motorcycle I'd just plunk down the required $12,000 and pick up a 2009 Kawasaki ZX-14...

1352cc, 557 pounds, and 193 stock horsepower at 9,500 RPM... If that wasn't fast enough you could plunk down a couple thousand and up the horsepower well into the 200+ range.

everyone has one of those - the ZX is a boring, cookie cutter bike - I did sports bikes before these. I'd rather have something that I built myself and that people don't expect to be fast.

edit: not to say it isn't fast, but it's the same as every other ZX. I got tired of the japanese sports bikes, and I'm not interested in ever going back. No soul... I'm going to build the Dyna to be surprising, and then get an 1125cr for the canyons too.

Last edited by Lopoetve; 03-16-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:15 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's a mistake to view those building out their Harley's as all consumed with power. They are all consumed with their Harley. They don't want some other bike, they just want their bike to go faster. It's no differant than changing your grips and pegs. This is the bike you like best, but you like it better with a few changes. Their changes just happen to be very expensive and require a good bit of technical expertise.

Quick Reply: Who is the fastest 1/4 mile bike?