General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS for MC

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:55 PM
jrjhls
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS for MC

Any ideas concerning GPS units and HD's. I have a '07 Heritage and have been considering a Garmin 2028. Also any ideas on wiring one for a Heritage?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not familiar with a 2028 model by Garmin. If you can point me to a link describing it, I might be able to help. If you are planning on buying a GPS, why not buy one built for a motorcycle? The Zumo's are great, and you can currently find the 450 for a pretty good price as it's been recently discontinued in lieu of a newer model. There is a lot to be said for having a waterproof gps that's meant to survive the rigors of being on a bike. If you aren't going to use a MC specific model, think about the features you want before buying. If there is one thing I wish my Zumo 550 did better, is the weather notifications. I'd love to have an actual NexRad image to let me see where that storm cloud in the distance is and where it's going. Unfortunately, the Zumo only gives you an icon to tell you what's forcast.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

I am currently putting a Garmin Nuvi 750 on my 2007 Heritage. I have designed a handlebar clamp that doesn't involve a u-bolt. I took a 1" rifle scope mount and cut off the dovetail. Drilled and tapped it for 1/4-20.

I took the Ram 1" ball and threaded it onto the modified scope mount. Next comes the Ram 1.75" clamp to their Nuvi cradle. Mounted it sits just to the right of the left grips on the same plane.

I have ordered a hard-wired 5vcd adapter that will wire permently to the Heritage electrical.

The Nuvi has one of the brightest screens on the market. I have used one in my truck for over a year.

Lee

Old 03-21-2009, 04:50 AM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not familiar with this model.

Recommend something designed for a MC. The Zumo series fits that bill with the 660 the newest and apparently most advanced of that series.

If you just want navigation ability and not a lot of other bells and whistles, consider the Garmin 2610, 2720 or 2730. All can usually be found on ebay as refurbished units with current maps and 1 year Garmin warranty for between $100 and $200 plus cost of a RamMount and wiring vs $600+ for the Zumo. Go to Garmin's site and do a comparison.

Whatever you choose, make sure it can withstand the vibration of the bike and is waterproof - all of the above mentioned units fit that bill.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:25 AM
Lures
Road Warrior

I have a Zumo 550. I mounted it to the handlebars using the supplied hardware. As for the wiring, I tapped the hot off of the accessory side of the ignition switch. That way when the switch is on in either position the unit has power, but the power is off to the unit when the switch is off. I ran the wires out the front of the instrument panel following the wiring harness that runs to the handlebar switches using small black tie wraps to secure it.
The Zumo is a great unit, easy to use and see, but it is pricey. I would suggest that you steer away from the H-D unit and get a 550, same unit, just cheaper without the H-D logos. I'll take pics & send them if you want. good luck.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Boneyard Blue
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need to purchase a GPS made specifically for motorcycles. They are generally much more expensive. I use the same GPS for my cage as I do for my bike. I just purchased an inexpensive handle bar mount off of Ebay (for under $20) and a SAE 2 pin cigarette lighter adapter which attaches to my battery tender trickle charger attached to my battery (also under $20). Works like a charm when I want to have GPS on my bike.
My GPS isn't water resistant but It's protected by my windshield.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:41 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the Garmin Nuvi 760 and I bought this ram mount on eBay.

Attached Thumbnails GPS for MC-garmin-nuvi-760.jpg   GPS for MC-ram-mount.jpg  
Old 03-21-2009, 08:55 AM
hackenfort
Banned

The Zumo's are great, the 450 is now discontinued and I"m seeing some real bargains.

Currently I use a Nuvi 260 - thought about putting in a Ram Aqua case, but gps are getting so cheap, the case is 50% of the unit's price. So I just slip it in my pocket if it starts to rain.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:55 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

The now discontinued Garmin 2610 is still a great GPS. It is waterproof and doesn't run off of a hard drive which is affected by vibration. It can still be found for sale on the internet for $100 or so. I've used mine for years and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble. you can get brackets and wiring for it from cyclegadgets.com

Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering the cost of a Zumo you could buy 3-4 cheap gps units. If one gets broken or stolen stick another on. The problem for me with a Zumo is the functionality just isn't worth the price. All I need is the ability to route, display the map oriented to my direction of travel and tell me where to turn. A Garmin C330 does that just fine. You can get that for under $100.

Quick Reply: GPS for MC