General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firehouse Customs drivers Backrest. Advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:22 PM
David The Hutt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firehouse Customs drivers Backrest. Advice wanted

I am looking for a drivers backrest for a 2008 flstc (heritage).
the sundowner pushes me forward too much and i loath the mustang and corbin seats (too hard)

basically, my stock seat is ok by me, but i have been told by many that a drivers backrest is the one thing that people regret not getting earlier. (apparently it makes a huge difference, from what i hear from other folks)

I am seriously considering the drivers backrest from http://firehousecustoms.com/harleyhsc07.htm

Its one of the more affordable options for a drivers backrest out there, but i would like to hear from someone who has one.

Is it worth it?
I know that it doesnt adjust but i am ok with that. I am concerned about the bracket.
Does the metal bracket hit your lower back? (especially when you lean back on it)
Is it sturdy enough?
Is it comfortable?
Are the mounts solid? (meaning will I be having to mess with them and re-tighten them all of the time?)

Old 03-26-2009, 09:28 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

I have it & it's a great addition if you don't want to spend 500 for a new seat with a built in backrest. The cons are you can't flip it down so you can easily swing your leg over it & it's not adjustable. It has a little bit of flex to it which is a good thing. It mounts solidly to the seat bolts. My complaint is that it should be a bit thinner. I have the studded version & it pushed me a bit forward & the angle wasn't right on my back. Those problems were solved by slightly bending the bracket backward which gave me the room & angle I needed. For the money it's a no brainier but if I come across a Mustang or HD studded heritage seat with a backrest for $200 I'd scoop it right up.

I have this one

Last edited by golfblues; 03-26-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:07 PM
David The Hutt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i notice that the bracket sticks out a little. any issues with your lower back rubbing against the bracket?

Old 03-26-2009, 11:49 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Firehouse that I used on my '07 Heritage for a year. Good backrest, though it's not adjustable. It easily fits with the seat system that is stock. Basically you take off the seat, put the backrest over one of the bolts, and put the seat back on. Pretty comfortable and easy to put and take off.

The little picture for my signature has the backrest behind me on the road. There's a better picture of the backrest on my bike at Valley of Fire in Nevada.

I traded for an '09 Ultra so I've still got the backrest. Make me a decent offer and you can have it.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:38 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine pushes me forward about an inch which at first I thought was a great thing but I found it was quite uncomfortable on the first long (140 mile) ride I took with it.

My $ss was hurting because the backrest puts you more onto the harder and more narrow horn of the seat. My back was hurting because either the angle is wrong for me or it put too much of an arch in it. Least that's my theory.

I'm thinking about trying to adjust it like golfblues did but haven't got around to it yet. I'm pretty sure I can adjust the angle of it but not so sure I can get it to go back anymore. Seems the pillion may be a limiting factor.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:13 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by David The Hutt
i notice that the bracket sticks out a little. any issues with your lower back rubbing against the bracket?

It doesn't come into play. The bracket is almost hidden.