General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Products Made in China & Taiwan.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:27 AM
7373pisces
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Davidson Products Made in China & Taiwan.

Why pay Top Dollar just for the name? Just paid for a set of Nice Boots from Sheplers & the things made in China...Give it a Break!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:16 AM
hackenfort
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AGREE 100% and it not just HD.

I don't care what brand it is anymore, I'm looking at where it's made before I buy, if it's expensive and made in a third world county - I keep looking.

Somethings I will go without because of this, but to my surprise you still can buy many things made here in the US if you look hard enough.

I was also surprised how many food products are coming from China. And it's much more difficult to tell with produce, seafood etc... as the stores un-pack these items.

Last year I purchased a set of Celestion guitar speakers, they arrived and the box clearly stated Made in Great Britain, the speaker had a little sticker "made in PRC" so I wrote the company they told me "PRC" was People Republic of China, and yes the box was made in Great Britain, but the contents were made in PRC. In the past they were made in Great Britain, now they are made in China and the price is still the same, so I returned them.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:45 AM
shooter537
Cruiser

The front end (forks) of Harley Davidsons as well as a lot of other parts on your bike are made in Japan. Kinda sucks eh?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Dudes..........this has been going since the 80's.
Ya'll just fall off of the turnip truck or something?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 AM
Serg06
Cruiser

I guess we all ride a rice burner after all.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Not that I'm pushin anyone to buy from anyplace particular, but at least in the j@p cycles catalog they post an American flag by products made here. So if buying American is important to you, check them out. At the dealer maybe the packaging is made in the US but not much else.,,

Old 03-31-2009, 09:09 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Not that I'm pushin anyone to buy from anyplace particular, but at least in the j@p cycles catalog they post an American flag by products made here. So if buying American is important to you, check them out.
That's what I do. I look for Made in America as much as I can. You can even subscribe to websites that focus specifically on this. One is howtobuyamerican.com.

This started with us - the US consumer - wanting everything cheaper and cheaper. Well, manufacturers started looking for cheaper and cheaper ways to make things. Guess what? Overseas, wages are minimal compared to what you find in America. Of course, their standard of living is sometimes abysmal compared to ours based on their lax environmental laws and such.

When China builds a coal power plant, you think they're following all the guidelines that the US power companies are forced to? And the bad emissions from these plants go into the air and get blown EASTWARD. Guess what MAJOR country id far to the east of China?

What has it gotten us? Cheaper products that we throw away instead of trying to repair. Cheaper to buy a new TV than fix it, most times. But we also get such things as lead paint in some products, foods that poison us or our pets, etc. While some of it is caught, I wonder what slips through the cracks we don't know about.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 AM
ga.mason
Cruiser

You couldn't afford to buy it if it was made in America. By the time the EPA, FTC, and every other federal regulation is imposed, then let the unions get a crack at it. You know $30 an hour to stitch up those boots they would cost a $1000 a pair. And American made or not I know you wouldn't buy them then either. Understand I buy American too when I can if its a good value for my dollar. But unless youve been out of the loop for the last 20 years you know that the imports are not only cheaper they and usually better made. The American worker these days are'nt the same as they used to be. No pride in the work, just worried about more benefits,time off, and when the next break is.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:20 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Talking

Originally Posted by schumacher
Dudes..........this has been going since the 80's.
Ya'll just fall off of the turnip truck or something?

True that...I was just gonna say "not this **** again"...

Old 03-31-2009, 12:04 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just don't be licking, or chewing, on the new parts, or you'll get lead poisoning.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Products Made in China & Taiwan.