General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zip Lock bags for stowage

Old 06-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Zip Lock bags for stowage

I'll be 7-days on the road and looking for the best way to consolidate clothing. Are the various size Zip Lock bags the best bet to stow clean and dirty clothing. Plan on using several for each day's wear. A large one for the dirty clothes. Just open, roll up, and squeeze all the air out right? Anybody ever use one of the big zip locks for sleeping bag or tent?

Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 AM
altoonahawk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used the big ones (2' by 2') on a week long bicycle trip across Iowa, packed a change of cloths for each day and replaced with the dirty cloths. Worked well and survived one big rain that made its way into our tent

Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucker99
I'll be 7-days on the road and looking for the best way to consolidate clothing. Are the various size Zip Lock bags the best bet to stow clean and dirty clothing. Plan on using several for each day's wear. A large one for the dirty clothes. Just open, roll up, and squeeze all the air out right? Anybody ever use one of the big zip locks for sleeping bag or tent?
Take old clothes, especially undies and socks for sure and just toss them. Leaves room for any stuff you buy. Who wants to haul around stinky socks for a week?

Don't forget zip locks for your phone, and other electronics.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:05 AM
AMathis
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work out of town traveling on my bike hauling cloths in a T-Bag. I use 2 kitchen trash bags for cloths one I line the bag then pack the cloths. The other is for dirty cloths so they aren't all mixed together. I use smaller ziplocks for smaller things that need to be dry. So far thats worked best for me protecting things on the road.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:58 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Take old clothes, especially undies and socks for sure and just toss them. Leaves room for any stuff you buy. Who wants to haul around stinky socks for a week?
This make great sense! We went on an over night ride this last weekend and I had to make room for my new T-shirt, since we have limited space.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
This make great sense! We went on an over night ride this last weekend and I had to make room for my new T-shirt, since we have limited space.
Learned it from a grey beard years ago, now I'm the grey beard and paying it forward.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:16 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the zip locks all the time to keep clean and dirty separate. I roll a pair of socks, underwear, and tshirt together in a gallon size zip lock and push all the air out to save space making them much more compact as they dont use all the space. On road take clean out and roll dirty and put back in. This keeps dirty clothes separate from clean. Simple and works for us. We usually take around 3 or 4 days worth then wash at laundromat or hotel if necessary.

Also put anything I must keep dry in them; passport, registration, insurance card, etc.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:13 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

I do the same as KW.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:50 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I put my clean clothes in a kitchen trash bag, and my dirty clothes in another. I carry a few spares too.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:28 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I carry a can of inflate -a -flat on trips. Let me tell ya you don't want that to start leaking in a saddle bag, so in a zip lock bag it goes.,,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zip Lock bags for stowage