General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid leaking behind my voltage regulator! What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:12 PM
hoglaw
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taste it. If it taste like cherry it's transmission fluid, if it tastes like chocolate it's engine oil.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Cakalac
Tourer

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Since you mentioned the oil change, now I'll go with oil residue from when the oil filter came off.

Only thing is the oil if that is what it is seems to be goldish clear and fresh. But it also seems that if it was a leak that it would leak down onto my garage floor and that has yet to happen. That oil change was done in January.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:53 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Cakalac
I was cleaning the bike earlier getting ready to ride and I noticed what looked like fluid building up like a grease on my voltage regulator.
That is not grease. And don't listen to all of these wisenheimers on here. You have probably ruptured the synthetic fluid membrane inside your voltage regulator bladder and some of the oil is seeping through capillary action at the plastic seam on the case. This is NOT an emergency but something you should mention at your next trip to the dealer. The VR uses a hydroscopic fluid similar to DOT4 brake fluid to transfer heat from the coil to the heat sink fins you see on the front of it. If too much fluid escapes it will overheat and you could blow a fuse and get stranded. This is NOT a repairable part and should be replaced. But it is an easy DIY or a dealer can do it for about 15-30 minutes labor. Just make sure to tell the parts guy you want one that is pre-filled at the factory and not one of the "fill it yourself" deals that they sell at some shops. I would definitely go with the HD factory replacement on this one.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:02 PM
nighttrain72970
Tourer

I had primary oil seeping out of my stator plug on the front of the primary cover. I used a little gasket sealer on it and it never leaked again. Check that.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Since you mentioned the oil change, now I'll go with oil residue from when the oil filter came off.
You know, that's exactly why I always lay my bike down on its left side before removing the oil filter. That way there's no spillage.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:07 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Splatter
You know, that's exactly why I always lay my bike down on its left side before removing the oil filter. That way there's no spillage.
Change the filter? WTF....no way...I'm not touching that thing ever. I never changed that filter thing on my Sportster for like 3 years...well then the dealer tech unscrewed it and all this dusgusting black goo came out. So he put an identical one back on because he didn't want to wash the goo off. Well on my way home the engine quit running and so I had to get this Dyna. So, if you don't want your engine to quit running don't mess with that chrome oil thing on the front.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Cakalac
Tourer

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
That is not grease. And don't listen to all of these wisenheimers on here. You have probably ruptured the synthetic fluid membrane inside your voltage regulator bladder and some of the oil is seeping through capillary action at the plastic seam on the case. This is NOT an emergency but something you should mention at your next trip to the dealer. The VR uses a hydroscopic fluid similar to DOT4 brake fluid to transfer heat from the coil to the heat sink fins you see on the front of it. If too much fluid escapes it will overheat and you could blow a fuse and get stranded. This is NOT a repairable part and should be replaced. But it is an easy DIY or a dealer can do it for about 15-30 minutes labor. Just make sure to tell the parts guy you want one that is pre-filled at the factory and not one of the "fill it yourself" deals that they sell at some shops. I would definitely go with the HD factory replacement on this one.

Thanks, that is what it looks like as well. Looks like brake fluid. I will get this checked out next time I'm by the dealer. I will have one of the service guys tell me what's going on. We are usually by there at least once a week anyway so they know my face due to spending lots of money with them, lol!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:23 PM
chuck2000RK
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Eyespy
Sometimes the oil can track along the stator wire and travel inside the wire insulation all the way down to the connector near the front of the motor. Having the connector zip tied up high can help if this is where the leak is coming from. Also, oil can leak from the rubber boot that seals the opening that the stator wire passes through in front of the motor. The rubber boot cannot be replaced separately from the stator, but you can use RTV to make the boot seal oil tight if that's the problem.
the stator wire boot is exactly where i am getting a tiny leak from. thanks for the fix even though this wasnt started by me i found the fix i needed.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:15 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could wrap the entire engine in a clear plastic bag and catch any fluid that may escape. Then you can have it analyzed to see what it is...be sure to let us know what you find. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. These Harley things are just bizarre!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoyed reading this one.

Quick Reply: Fluid leaking behind my voltage regulator! What is it?