General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Masks

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Kilo6
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Riding Masks

Gents, Ok I got a sort of dumb question. When ever I ride and the dust/pollen count is up I always get severe hay fever. At the end of my ride, or when I stop, I start sneezing and my eyes are red and irritated. Today I am still plugged up from yesterdays ride and no meds help. The question is, do any of you ride with a pollen mask and does it help? I was going to try the masks in the link below. Thanks

http://www.u2sportmask.com/

Old 04-26-2009, 10:03 AM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO. I take good 2nd generation antihistamines. You can get good over the counter ones now. Stay on their regimen and use a good nasal medicine ahead of the ride not after.

Allergy medicines work best if used before hand not after.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 AM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't do it for pollen reasons, but sometimes when the bugs are bad I wear a doubled bandana from below the bridge of my nose down to my neck. Takes the sting out of bugs hitting 'ya. May also work for pollen?

The mask you posted looks like it would offer some good pretection from even large hardshell bugs (think Junebugs) to the nose/chin/cheeks areas.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:10 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree 100% witht ToastedGoat. And that mask you linked looks like a great idea. Try that with meds and you should be all set

Old 04-26-2009, 10:27 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a good idea.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:28 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Do whatever it takes. ---Hay fever AIN'T no fun!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:37 AM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LAMing
I don't do it for pollen reasons, but sometimes when the bugs are bad I wear a doubled bandana from below the bridge of my nose down to my neck. Takes the sting out of bugs hitting 'ya. May also work for pollen?

The mask you posted looks like it would offer some good pretection from even large hardshell bugs (think Junebugs) to the nose/chin/cheeks areas.
same thing I do...seems to help with my allergy problem...or I just think it does

Old 04-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Use a spoon of honey instead of sugar or sugar sub in your coffee or cereal. It will take a season but if you do it regularly you will find that the hayfever will all but go away. If you don't believe it then try it for a couple years then quit and see what it does. Something about the pollen used by bees building a resistance for you. Two or three times a day will jump start it for you then just once a day or so.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Trey Hogger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try goggles instead of regular riding glasses. A lot of the effect from allergies get to you through your eyes. Allergy eye drops help too.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
Use a spoon of honey instead of sugar or sugar sub in your coffee or cereal. It will take a season but if you do it regularly you will find that the hayfever will all but go away. If you don't believe it then try it for a couple years then quit and see what it does. Something about the pollen used by bees building a resistance for you. Two or three times a day will jump start it for you then just once a day or so.

this really only works if it is local honey. if you eat honey made from whatever it is that you are allergic to, then it helps you build up a resistance.

Quick Reply: Riding Masks