General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley May Move Production out of PA

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:05 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like payback for hardnosed union local there in York. You reap what you sow! Let it move to KC or a nice southern state where people seemingly are more happy to work , ever notice where all the new auto plants are being built in recent years?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:16 PM
bikerick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Move??

If Harley moves off shore....my bike is up for sale!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:41 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn, I was just at the York, PA plant at the end of April and they didn't say anything about it during our tour.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerick
If Harley moves off shore....my bike is up for sale!!!!!!
You should just give it to me for free, that will show them.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ftanner
Yeah.... Because unions don't demand insane salaries and benefits for even the most trivial job....
You sir, who touts the tools of a mason, should do a bit of research on the Freemasons. Whether you realize it or not you belong to an organizaton that was founded as a labor Guild of stonemasons. A Guild is a Union. Formed to protect the rights of it's own trade workers. Labor unions go back hundreds of years. Virtually all the wages, fringe benefits, holidays, vacation days, sick days etc that ALL workers have now were fought for with the blood and sweat of Union members. All those things I mentioned above (and more) were non existent before the Unions formed and fought to change the labor laws in this and other democratic countries.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:58 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How about the multi-millionaire execs of HD taking a paycut?? Ya right, like that will ever happen... nope, they'll close the plant and lay off the workers to save a buck...just like the rest of the money grubbing execs running companies into the ground all over the country.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Savagehenry
Tourer

Relative but a little off topic:

Chrysler just announced it will close its engine plant in Kenosha, 40mi south of here, as they complete a new one in Mexico. (They originally planned to run them both, by the way.) It was also reported that the wages and benefits between here and Mexico were $55 vs $8 hr.

I hate to see good jobs gone, but if it was my job to keep a company afloat, this little tidbit is pretty hard to ignore. $55 an hour to run an impact wrench on an assembly line is excessive; and I doubt the bargainers would even agree to something like $40 to keep the jobs here.

Something's gotta give.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rodnock
You sir, who touts the tools of a mason, should do a bit of research on the Freemasons. Whether you realize it or not you belong to an organizaton that was founded as a labor Guild of stonemasons. A Guild is a Union. Formed to protect the rights of it's own trade workers. Labor unions go back hundreds of years. Virtually all the wages, fringe benefits, holidays, vacation days, sick days etc that ALL workers have now were fought for with the blood and sweat of Union members. All those things I mentioned above (and more) were non existent before the Unions formed and fought to change the labor laws in this and other democratic countries.
While you're certainly correct, this is much like people still harping over slavery to this day. There are laws in place now that protect workers rights, so why are the unions still needed? We should all remember and appreciate what the unions did for American labor years ago, but IMO they're simply no longer needed. Why is it when people talk about the "American worker" they're always talking about union workers?

Granted, my opinion about unions is very biased having lived through two strikes, but I think many times they are their own worst enemy. I've never been a union member myself, but I've never needed anybody fighting for me either. All of the laws in place seem to protect my rights as a working American just fine. Having watched first hand the horrible and unforgivable things union workers have done during strikes, makes me unable to feel sorry for them in any way.

The bottom line is Harley is in the same boat as many other American companies and will have to do whatever it takes to stay in business. If that means moving a plant to a non union state then so be it. I of course hope that all of their operations stay in the US, but I couldn't care less if union labor is involved or not.

I'm sure my opions on this subject will get me flamed to death.....

Old 05-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Paflyfisher
Intermediate

I wouldn't blame them if they moved out of the business hating state. The taxes business' have to pay to produce anything in this state is ridiculous. Our Governer, Fast Eddie Rendell, keeps raising the taxes and penalizing business and wonders why this state is turning into a wasteland. They used to make steel in Pittsburgh until it got too expensive to produce it here. The taxes, unions, and enviromental regulations makes this state impossible to do business in.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Phil K
Road Captain

Yes..unions can shoot themselves in the foot at times..but i argue with the point that they are no longer needed. Twice in my lifetime..the union has fought for and won the reinstatment of a fellow employee that was fired just because the boss didn't like him. Like it or not..in many workplaces..the "good ol' boy" network still thrives..and employers are sometimes unscrupulous enough to can someone for no good reason..or..to hire the buddy thaey golf with on weekends that needs a job. I've been there..it happens. That said..the constant pi**ing contest between union and management for higher wages has to end somewhere...ask anyone at GM or Chrysler the outcome.......

Quick Reply: Harley May Move Production out of PA