General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley May Move Production out of PA

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:36 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodnock
You sir, who touts the tools of a mason, should do a bit of research on the Freemasons. Whether you realize it or not you belong to an organizaton that was founded as a labor Guild of stonemasons. A Guild is a Union. Formed to protect the rights of it's own trade workers. Labor unions go back hundreds of years. Virtually all the wages, fringe benefits, holidays, vacation days, sick days etc that ALL workers have now were fought for with the blood and sweat of Union members. All those things I mentioned above (and more) were non existent before the Unions formed and fought to change the labor laws in this and other democratic countries.
I know more about the history of Freemasons than most Freemasons do. There is a difference between old time stone cutters guilds and the robbers that are called unions of modern times.

Back fifty plus years ago, unions were a very good thing. Now they are a racket that does nothing but push jobs offshore because they demand insane salaries for the most trivial task. Sorry. Stuffing nuts and bolts in a bag isn't worth the $60k to $70k those guys make. It's not worth $80k+ to put a door on a car.

Modern unions are what has caused the issues that are happening right now with the automotive industry.

Edit ----------------- Fixing my typos.

Last edited by ftanner; 05-13-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Dutch110
Tourer

Originally Posted by Paflyfisher
I wouldn't blame them if they moved out of the business hating state. The taxes business' have to pay to produce anything in this state is ridiculous. Our Governer, Fast Eddie Rendell, keeps raising the taxes and penalizing business and wonders why this state is turning into a wasteland. They used to make steel in Pittsburgh until it got too expensive to produce it here. The taxes, unions, and enviromental regulations makes this state impossible to do business in.
+1000. Between the CAT plant and the Harley plant there is going to be a fire sale on manufacturing space along Rt 30 in York.

Harley is simply firing a shot accross the bow of state and union leadership. The message is "make it worthwhile to stay or we're going." I don't blame them one bit.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:29 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phil K
Yes..unions can shoot themselves in the foot at times..but i argue with the point that they are no longer needed. Twice in my lifetime..the union has fought for and won the reinstatment of a fellow employee that was fired just because the boss didn't like him. Like it or not..in many workplaces..the "good ol' boy" network still thrives..and employers are sometimes unscrupulous enough to can someone for no good reason..or..to hire the buddy thaey golf with on weekends that needs a job. I've been there..it happens. That said..the constant pi**ing contest between union and management for higher wages has to end somewhere...ask anyone at GM or Chrysler the outcome.......
I've also seen unions flex their muscles and save the jobs of several people that had no business having them. Saving the jobs of people that were sleeping on the job daily just because they could do it and get away with it. If you were a union member you could do ANYTHING and keep your job. I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm sure this works both ways. I've had bosses that didn't like me and have tried to get rid of me, but thankfully they had no grounds to do so and couldn't get it done. I saved my own job.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:17 AM
BlackRob
Tourer

I am thankful for the those unions up north sending jobs to us down south. Better for our workers and better for the consumers. The "big evil corporations" aren't the ones paying for those unions, it's us the consumers that buy the products. The true "little guys" who make much less than most unionized workers. Well, those that still have a job anyway. Take out the union expenses and high taxes and Harleys might be priced competitively against the foreign bikes which means more money in your pocket when you go to buy a Harley and more people buying Harleys than metrics and more American money staying in America. Sorry if a few hundred overpaid workers concentrated in the northeast lose their jobs, ultimately lower prices benefit a whole lot more Americans.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:42 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We got room for em in Georgia or another state in the South. No UAW, ya hear?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:49 AM
bdavis
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
If H-D becomes a union buster, I will never buy another product with their name on it, and I don't belong to a union.
If they become a union buster, I'll applaud them.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Vatorman
Tourer

Originally Posted by bdavis
If they become a union buster, I'll applaud them.
+ 1 Hate to tell you this-but this country was founded on cheap labor. That's no longer the case so everything goes to China. If you need a refresher-read my Sig.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

One fact is that the cost of labor and benefits is passed along to the consumer in the form of increased product costs.

Makes for an interesting situation as most workers demand the highest possible salary for products they produce, but in turn demand and search for the lowest possible cost in products they purchase.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Dutch110
Tourer

During the industrial revolution management took advantage of the workforce to such a degree that the establishment of labor unions in this country was a necessity. The balance of power was completely lopsided in favor of management. During the next 50 years we saw that balance of power shift back to the other side and into the hands of organized labor. At some point in time getting paid $60 an hour to run a spot welder machine on an assembly line in Detroit became a Constitutional right, and not an earned privledge. Seniority replaced competence as the main reason for promotion. Job bank? Are you serious? If my company shuts down I'm out on the street, not sitting at home sucking up 80% of my pay. What finally sealed the fate of organized labor in this country was the arrogance shown by UAW leadership in front of Congress during the bail out hearings. While the rest of the country is struggling to pay their bills these guys stood their ground and refused to give an inch in the face of almost certain job cuts and bankruptcy. What a bunch of farking tools. They deserve everything they get at this point. And if that means moving jobs down South to more business friendly states who's labor force is more then willing to accept a fair days wage for a hard days work then so be it. Wake up folks, the gravy train has reached it's final destination.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:01 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlackRob
I am thankful for the those unions up north sending jobs to us down south. Better for our workers and better for the consumers. The "big evil corporations" aren't the ones paying for those unions, it's us the consumers that buy the products. The true "little guys" who make much less than most unionized workers. Well, those that still have a job anyway. Take out the union expenses and high taxes and Harleys might be priced competitively against the foreign bikes which means more money in your pocket when you go to buy a Harley and more people buying Harleys than metrics and more American money staying in America. Sorry if a few hundred overpaid workers concentrated in the northeast lose their jobs, ultimately lower prices benefit a whole lot more Americans.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha......... you really believe that if the MOCO can cut costs they will cut the price and not increase thier bottom line????

You do realize they charge more for that fancy-dancy MOCO Logo Leather Jacket made in cheaper labor China then they ever did the ones that used to be made here in the Good Ole USA........

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Quick Reply: Harley May Move Production out of PA