General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley sells sound to Honda!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:49 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JBaker421
Back in the mid 90's Harley sued to trademark its sound. That started a lot of rumors to the effect that the sound is trademarked.

To the best of my knowledge, Harley withdrew the suit several years later, believing it couldn't win in the end.

I "think" the sound is about having a single crank pin, and about both cylinders firing on the same revolution, a split second apart, and then both idling through the next revolution. That makes the engine sound almost as if it's missing - running rough - at idle.

Thus, the "potato potato" sound. ??
Originally Posted by Eyespy
If I understand what you are trying to say correctly, that's not quite right. With the 45 degree V-twin set up and both connecting rods sharing a single crank pin, the firing interval is like this: 1st cylinder fires, then there is 315 degrees of crank rotation for 2nd cylinder firing. Then 405 degrees of crank rotation before cylinder 1 fires again. Then cylinder 2 after 315 degrees, etc. This is what gives that "potato potato" sound at idle.

Let me get this straight.....you seriously don't see the difference?
I don't see any difference that would warrent a rebuttle here

OK, say at idle the engine is turning 600rpm (just for simple math) thats 600 rotations per minute, or 10 rotations per second, therefore it is only 0.1 seconds per rotation, 315 degrees after the first cylinder fires, 0.0875 seconds later the the second cylinder fires, in my book that is a split second later.
The second point is about both cylinder firing on the same rotation a full circle is 360 degree, if cylinder 2 fires 315 degrees after cylinder 1, then there has not been a complete rotation, as in a conventional combustion engine.
The third point is after cylinder 2 fires the crank must turn 405 degrees, thus turning one complete rotation with no power stroke (see about simple circle in point 2).
Not to be an a$$ or anything coth statement sound alike.

Last edited by dope_man_21; 05-17-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:09 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course the cylinder combustions are split seconds apart. That's obvious and is true in any crank pin arrangement, but if you say the two "competing" explanations provided are the technical/mechanical equivalent of each other, to the extent that it was necessary to step in between me and Baker in defense of his explanation, I suppose I'll just stop wasting my and everyone else's time and let his description stand uncorrected. Never mind the details, they are irrelevant

Old 05-17-2009, 04:25 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course the cylinder combustions are split seconds apart. That's obvious and is true in any crank pin arrangement, but if you say the two "competing" explanations provided are the technical/mechanical equivalent of each other, to the extent that it was necessary to step in between me and Baker in defense of his explanation, I suppose I'll just stop wasting my and everyone else's time and let his description stand uncorrected. Never mind the details, they are irrelevant
There are always more than one way to describe the way something is, or how it works, the point is that JBaker made his post, and it was simple enough, but wait it was too simple, so you wanted to go above and beyond what JBaker had to say (I guess trying to prove that you are the alfa male) and really it did not matter. But if you want to be the top dog, go ahead. We have the fashion police, the grammer police, and now we have you, the politically correct police! Whats next?

Old 05-17-2009, 04:53 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
There are always more than one way to describe the way something is, or how it works, the point is that JBaker made his post, and it was simple enough, but wait it was too simple, so you wanted to go above and beyond what JBaker had to say (I guess trying to prove that you are the alfa male) and really it did not matter. But if you want to be the top dog, go ahead. We have the fashion police, the grammer police, and now we have you, the politically correct police! Whats next?
Hold on dope, I already conceded you were right. How it works in this case doesn't really matter. Besides, Baker was doing fine on his own and really didn't need a body guard. And there was no animosity, just a little ribbing here and there. Maybe you don't do as well on sleep deprivation as I do

Old 05-17-2009, 05:49 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the link to explain it all!!

http://hondavsharley2.homestead.com/HarleyvsHonda2.swf

Last edited by nhbiker1961; 05-17-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 AM
capnhook
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
No ****... I'm with ya on that one. Still yet to hear a metric cruiser with 'pipes' that sound good. At least most of the metric guys I ride with realize this and keep their exhaust sounding good - quiet...

Honda V-twins sound digusting no matter what. V-stars need to have the baffles punched out, to mask the whine. I can still hear it when my dad rides by, but it helps.

I wish he would just get off his wallet and go buy a RK, like he keeps talking about.

I like honda's old air cooled inline four cylinders with straight pipes. I am going to chop a old Honda one of these days.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:52 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
I guess the "simple police" like you would be next?

Old 05-17-2009, 12:57 PM
jokerx
Banned

Not to mention lots of us old timers have kids to pass the torch on to.
Exactly...

Old 05-17-2009, 02:25 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
this is the link to explain it all!!

http://hondavsharley2.homestead.com/harleyvshonda2.swf
That's pretty funny.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:07 PM
acso1299
3rd Gear
Default Harley sells sound to Honda!

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Around here I see a LOT more Japanese "cruisers" than Harleys, they are everywhere.
We have four guys at work with Jap cruisers, I'm the only HD and mine isn't a cruiser, it's totally *** backwards.
Funny thing is all four of them have HD stickers of some kind on their cage and I don't.
You know what else would be funny, if you were Japanese and the other guys were another race.

Easy on the ethnic slangs bro.

Gary

Quick Reply: Harley sells sound to Honda!