General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Pull A TIMEOUT/ Or Other Camper

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone Pull A TIMEOUT/ Or Other Camper

Received a call, from a guy who's scoot I work on once in a while.
He has an opportunity to buy a 2002 TIMEOUT camper, been used twice, for 'bout .60 on the dollar.
I have never pulled one, nor do I hang 'round anyone who does.

He's running an 01 Ultra, updated with gear drive cams, exhaust, etc, but still an 88".
Ya, I could tell him we need to do all sorts of pricey chit to it, BUT that's not my bag.
He and the wifey, prob'ly go 'bout 350 to 375 TOTAL, BUT I'm guessing, less, so they aren't overloaded to start with.

Anybody pull one, and if so, what do you think of it, and how it pulls? Do you have enough 'snoose'?

They are in their 50's, and I'd put him in the 'putzer' category. He's not a speed demon, nor a hammer it type of guy. They are looking to use it for ease of set up (tired of tenting it) and knowing them, they will definitely get their $$ worth.
I do have several friends that pull the small storage type trailers (HEY, I gots to 'hang' with someone who has "CLOSET" space ). Do they pull the same, or worse(better)?

Any tips, suggestions, etc, WAY APPRECIATED. Thanx, Folx. I just don't want to steer him towards something that isn't going to work for him.

EDIT - Thanx Danny, shoulda thought of it, FIRST!!!

http://www.timeout-trailers.com/ie/p...ut/movies.html (Set up vids, IF interested)

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 05-20-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know what trailer you speak of, but I've seen tons of 74" Glides pull camping trailers before. Being an 88" isn't going to be the problem, if there is one. May have to upgrade the rear suspension, but that's all I could think of.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:22 PM
dan1551
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an Aspen classic and have only pulled it 100 miles while trying it out.Its about 400 #the way I have it right now.... My 08 ultra pulls it on flat ground in 6th at 65 ,but I would never go lower than that without going to 5th...I wouldnt worry about it .Once you get up to cruise speed its easy to forget its there. Stopping needs to be thought over and stay away from turning close to curbs

Old 10-14-2009, 01:38 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

My father-in-law has a TO camper trailer that he pulls with his 1800 Goldwing. I took his bike and trailer on a 1500 mile trip this summer to see if I wanted to buy it. The Honda pulled it withut trouble, but I decided that my Electraglide didn't have the motor to drag that heavy trailer around. No doubt about it, a camper trailer is great on the road. Set-up takes about as long as a tent once you get the hang of it and the accomodations are much better. I even saw one at Sturgis with an air conditioner. I've heard of people towing them with Harley's, but I don't think I'd do it.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:08 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Harleys have a ton of torque. I wouldn't sweat pulling a little pop-up with a TC 88 motor. ...although, to be safe, I'd probably add an oil cooler.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen these at the Helmet Roast here in Illinois. Guys had them set up and let me check them out. I'm looking to get one in the future. They all said they had no problems towing them, one was towing it with a 1990 Ultra. Them campers aren't all that heavy.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Raza51
Advanced
Default Harleys and Trailers

I pulled my Timeout Camper from Wildwood, Mo to Sturgis riding 2up, trip went great traveling speed limit and enjoying the ride....2008 Heritage Classic 105th, V&H pipes, Power Commander, Stage 1, oil cooler, and away we went...so they can pull them...
I now have a 2010 Screaming Eagle Street Glide...and I know it'll pull it....
Ride safe...

Attached Thumbnails Anyone Pull A TIMEOUT/ Or Other Camper-p8010080.jpg  

Last edited by Raza51; 10-14-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:50 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a guy I use to ride with that had one,,, three things,,, he said you for sure had to think about the stopping, getting use to how much wider the trailer is verses riding without it,,, and pulling into and out of places you had to be aware of it hitting the curb etc, (wider load in tow) other than that he said he never knew it was back there. I would recommend a very good tow bar for the bike as well for it.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:07 AM
hondaherb
Road Captain

I've pulled trailers many miles, but never with a Harley. First thing is that Harley will void your warrenty if they see a trailer hitch on your bike, if his bike is no longer under warrenty, no problem. The time-out trailer is a great rig, easy to set up and very comfortable. Like others have said, don't forget how wide you are when parking and turning.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:14 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

gump,

A buddy had one of those at a rally here in ohio and man all i can say after seeing his and talking to him about it, is that is one sweet little rig and when i get a touring bike in a few years i plan to get one no doubt about it.

His was a little older but hes an older guy and he said he has towed that thing for years probably logging alot of miles and never had any issues. Other than like people have said it will void a warranty

Quick Reply: Anyone Pull A TIMEOUT/ Or Other Camper