Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

P

Old 05-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Road Captain
Default Alergies-Bandana-mask? What works?

I've been riding bikes for 40 years and just in the last couple of years the Spring allergy season has started affecting me. Aside from doping up on Claratin or Zyrtek I don't want to geek out andwear a dust or pollen mask so I've thought of trying a bandana over my face to see if that will help filter the air. Last Spring I rode to Houston and spent two days there but wasn't aware that the pine pollen count that week was 4 thousand times higher than normal. After two days of it I ended up in a doctor's office and it took 3 months to clear my lungs and bronchial tubes of the pine pollen. This year it just the usual Springtime ragweed, fungus, and other standard airborne agitants. Do any of you other riders have similar problems with allergies this time of year? And if so how do you work with it when you ride?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Elite HDF Member

I have real bad tree allergies, when they are in bloom. Not much helps, but a bandana will at least keep some of the pollen down. Certianly will not hurt. Personally, Flonaise works the best for me, medicine wise.

Also, I would recommend a Netti Pot (google it). It's a little strange to get used to, but doing it every now and then makes a BIG differense.

In short, Harley's are hot, heavy, and stock performance is a joke. All true. Did I mention I LOVE my Harley's?
Old 05-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Road Warrior

I use Clariten. I've had allergies since I was a teeny bobber.
Happy as all get out when that product came into use.

2/5 Fox Co (Blackhearts)
FAST Co 5th PLt (FIDO)

Old 05-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

I haven't found anything that protects you from breathing in the pollen. I always take Claritin and Ibuprofen with me for the inevitable congestion and headache.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Extreme HDF Member

Here's the latest ATGATT for those bikers with allergies and other issues.

Click the image to open in full size.
PGR #168007, OKPGR #876

2011 FLHR Road King, Vivid Black (gone but not forgotten)
2014 FLHR Road King, Vivid Black
Old 05-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Road Warrior
Trevor Smith
Talking

Seen these but never tried them:

http://www.breathepurenaf.com/

http://www.breathecleanerair.org/

They are insert nasal filters. According to the literature, they are supposed to be highly effective - as long as you keep your mouth shut...!Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by iceman336; 05-20-2009 at 03:32 PM..
Old 05-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

If the only reason that you don't want to wear a pollen mask is because it makes you look like a geek but a bandanna is OK, then why not wear the pollen mask with a bandanna over it? Might make you look like you have a big nose but what do I know. Good luck.

2007 FLHRS

There are fires to put out and others to start.

...and those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzche
Old 05-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Road Captain

I have had allergies all my life, I had a "pin test" about a yr or more ago i think they called it..they dropped 30 drops of liquid on me weeds,trees,grasses out of the 30 i was allergic to 28 i think of them which is pretty much EVERYTHING...I took allergy shots for about a yr then I had family issues which stopped me from going but for the year I took the shots they seemed to work pretty well..I dont take them now but i still see some effects that the shots helped me..I always carry (Naphcon A 4 watery eyes) and every now and then clariton or zyrtek or another thing i cant remember...ALSO I doubt see how a bandanna couldnt hurt to try

2007 Pacific Blue Denim Street Bob This Bike's for you Mom
V&H Big Radius/BCT Monster Baffles/SE Heavy Breather/Willie G Collection/Side Mount/Forward Controls/Smoked Lenses..I'll never be done with her
2013 Breakout Vivid Black
SE Heavy Breather/V&H Black Short Shots/TTS Mastertune/Smoked Lenses
Old 05-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Extreme HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDZ82FXR View Post
I have had allergies all my life, I had a "pin test" about a yr or more ago i think they called it..they dropped 30 drops of liquid on me weeds,trees,grasses out of the 30 i was allergic to 28 i think of them which is pretty much EVERYTHING...I took allergy shots for about a yr then I had family issues which stopped me from going but for the year I took the shots they seemed to work pretty well..I dont take them now but i still see some effects that the shots helped me..I always carry (Naphcon A 4 watery eyes) and every now and then clariton or zyrtek or another thing i cant remember...ALSO I doubt see how a bandanna couldnt hurt to try

My poor wife has them bad too. She was on the shots for 2 years, and finally stopped taking them because the last 6 months they couldn't raise the dosage. They figured it was going to be another 3 years of shots to get her to a point where regular allergy meds would help, or completely eliminate any allergy meds. She just wasn't up to another 3 years of shots.

So, now she suffers thru them, limiting her outside time. Really sucks when we want to go do something. Especially since the only time we can really go out and enjoy the outdoors is when there's snow on the ground.
PGR #168007, OKPGR #876

2011 FLHR Road King, Vivid Black (gone but not forgotten)
2014 FLHR Road King, Vivid Black
Old 05-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Prospect

man iceman those things would look pretty silly hanging out of your nose.....lookes like 2 *********
Old 05-20-2009, 04:14 PM

P