General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys Turn Signal/Brake module

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 PM
blz2503
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harleys Turn Signal/Brake module

posted this in the Electrical section as well but need help!......

I have the Harley Turn Signal Brake Module ( Turns the back turn signals into brake lights)
It doesn't work anymore.The turn signals DO NOT light up when the brake lever is applied.The brake light does...
I figured it was the actual module that was the issue. I bought a new module ( 60 bucks!) and it still doesn't work
Any suggestions?????

Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

a bad connection will do it too.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:28 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you got the right replacement model. When I bought my bike it had a HD module that had all 3 lights on as running but only the center worked as a stop and side lights worked as turn sigs. I bought the other module which runs all 3 as run, &all 3 as stop plus the normal turn functions. Both are HD & both fit my bike. You may not have gottten the one you wanted. If memory serves me only the newer years have ALL the functions.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:15 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by dh2683
Are you sure you got the right replacement model. When I bought my bike it had a HD module that had all 3 lights on as running but only the center worked as a stop and side lights worked as turn sigs. I bought the other module which runs all 3 as run, &all 3 as stop plus the normal turn functions. Both are HD & both fit my bike. You may not have gottten the one you wanted. If memory serves me only the newer years have ALL the functions.
i'm not familiar with that module. i had an older one myself, but it did not make the signals perform as running lights, only as brake lights.

the newer ones do the 3 function, run, brake and turn, but there is a 'fix' to make it just brake and turn, which some folks (me included) prefer because the rear running lights are so bright it looks like you have your brakes on all the time.

there is a possibility of it (the new one) being the wrong module. i kept the one on my wife's sporty when she sold it and tried to use it on her road king. it fit, but did not work properly.

the other thing (and i'm thinking most likely) is a blown fuse. the brake lights are on a different circuit than the turn signals. i had a fuse blow a couple of times and would have no rear lights (the front running lights would work) except for a brake light. never could figure out why the fuse would blow. i would have to replace it a couple of times a year. hasn't gone in a while, hope i just didn't jinx myself

Old 05-20-2009, 11:17 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
there is a 'fix' to make it just brake and turn, which some folks (me included) prefer because the rear running lights are so bright it looks like you have your brakes on all the time.
What is that fix?

Thanks,
Ron

Old 05-21-2009, 02:08 AM
raaaaaa
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never liked harley modules the light up the turn signal to bright, looks like the brakes are always on

Old 05-21-2009, 05:06 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's not the wrong unit and since it's doing the same thing as the original I doubt it is. Most likely a wiring issue, maybe a ground. Have you done any other work to the bike recently.

We've had the module on our bikes for awhile now and love them. Also installed the Rear Alert flashing brakes module.

Be interested in knowing how it works out for you.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:39 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
What is that fix?

Thanks,
Ron
someone had posted here on the forum. i kept the pics. they can be found at http://home.earthlink.net/~skratches turn1.jpg - turn7.jpg. basically, it involves a little cutting and splicing, nothing too difficult at all.

disclaimer: i take no credit for this procedure, i'm not the electrical guru. conversely, i take no blame if it doesn't work for you.....

Old 05-21-2009, 12:09 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
someone had posted here on the forum. i kept the pics. they can be found at http://home.earthlink.net/~skratches turn1.jpg - turn7.jpg. basically, it involves a little cutting and splicing, nothing too difficult at all.

disclaimer: i take no credit for this procedure, i'm not the electrical guru. conversely, i take no blame if it doesn't work for you.....
My bike has that very mod. It works, but the wiring under the fender looks like a jumbled up mess. I'm just waiting around for it to fry out and for me to have to rewire the thing.

BTW - I didn't make the mod, cause if I did, the wiring wouldn't be a jumbled mess. I haven't rewired it into a nice little package because the wire colors appear to change after passing through the module. I can't be 100% certain which wires are for exactly what and I'm not inclined to screw with something that is working right now.