General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best night time glasses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Just had a very long conversation and thorough eye exam three hours ago. According to the Dr., yellow lenses are particularly useful at night, as they block out the "short wave" blue light given off by light bulbs, and particularly blue headlights. Also, if you have any sign of cataracts, the blue lights will be especially "glarey," which is the problem I just found out I have in my left eye.

Okay, I stand corrected. MOST any ophthalmologist can verify this.
I misread the OP. Yellow tint can reduce some types of GLARE, but will not enhance night-vision. The FTC has fined companies that promote yellow lenses for this purpose. My Air Force pilot nephew told me they don't wear yellow lenses after a military study was completed, which indicated personnel would actually be better off without them. He did tell me that they SEEMED to work...for a little while.
Yellow can be useful during the day in hazy conditions. Use during bright light periods can cause harm. A friend of mine wound up damaging his eyes temporarily because of over-use of yellow tinted lenses.
If a person is wearing a tinted lense at night and hits someone, that someones lawyer will have a field day in court.
I would suggest doing a little research before buying. And if nothing else, I guess a difference in opinion is what makes a horse race.