General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Me + Boot Rain Covers = Dumb Ass Moment

Old 06-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me + Boot Rain Covers = Dumb *** Moment

I got tired of wet feet when I ride in the rain for long periods of time, so I finally decided to become a ***** and buy a pair of rain covers for my boots. Rode from NJ to PA yesteday in some pretty nasty rain, and the covers worked well. I noticed though that they seemed to snag on my footpegs. So I get to the Harrisburg area, pull up to a stop sign, and instead of getting only my left foot down the whole damned bike went down with it. *****!

I'm not looking for sympathy or blaming the boot covers for what happened, it was my fault for sure, but I just want to offer a heads-up for anyone who may be thinking of getting those things. Be careful with them. Mine are going on eBay as soon as I get back from my road trip next week. Wet feet aren't so bad after all.

P.S. - To the guys that were there last night on Linglestown Road and ran over to check on me, many thanx!

Old 06-04-2009, 08:46 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master

I've heard of that happening so you aren't the first. I use full rain boots just so things like that don't happen. I've had no problems with them and use them a lot.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It didn't take me long to learn that anytime you change up things on your feet use caution. The smallest change can create a different "feel" or cause some small issue that you might not be aware of.

I got a new pair of HD Hollister boots a few weeks ago and they have this funny little "peg bar" on the bottom.

Put them on, hopped on my bike and started down the road. Got to my first red light and that "peg bar" made it kinda clumsy to get my foot off the left controls. Luckily I stopped on my right foot and made time to get the left one out and on the ground.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now your boots are still going to get wet but try this......

Keep some plastic bags like you get at the grocery store and a couple of rubber bands in your saddlebags, windshield bag, etc. Take up very little space. When you detect it's going to be raining, take boots off, put bags over socks, use rubber bands around the top(NOT TOO TIGHT AS THAT BEGINS TO HURT AFTER A WHILE) and put boots back on.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:53 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Remember back in the late seventies--Bell Bottoms--

Been there done that.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Jhorra
Cruiser

My pants catch on my pegs sometimes, but luckily I haven't pulled my bike down because of it yet.