General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP? I'm very frustrated.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Yves
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP? I'm very frustrated.

Hey Guys,

In April, I purchased a 2009 883-Iron. Love the blacked out look and I'm new to riding so I figured it would be a good fit to get into the sport.

Today, I found out that I might not be able to ride for 6 long weeks. Why is that you wonder?! I need a part which is on back order.

Here's what happened...

I decided to upgrade to a stage 1 screaming eagle air breather & put on some black V&H staggered short shots. I'm handy enough with a wrench, so I did the install myself (which is quite simple). I didn't buy the fuelpak, so I scheduled an appointment at the local dealer to have the download to remap the EFI system.

When I first started the bike, I noticed that in neutral, it was running very rich and at high rpms. I assumed this would be corrected with the download so I just shut the bike down and figured I'd wait until I got the service done the following day.

I take the bike to the dealer and they can't seem to get a proper read on the computer. After 1 hour, they removed the new air breather and noticed that a screw which was holding the new breather in place (the proper screw for the new breather!) was sticking out the back a bit and had apparently damaged the throttle position sensor. This is what was causing the problem.

Disappointed that a screaming eagle product designed for a 2009 XL bike would damage a stock part, I asked them to just swap the part and I'll pay for it to be on my way. It turns out the throttle position sensor part number #2762901A is on back order across Canada for 6 weeks. I also called a few dealers in the states to learn the same thing. (part on backorder, but only a 3 week wait listed in their system).

My question...

Does anyone know where I might be able to find this part online?!?

HD Throttle Position Sensor for 2009 Iron 883. (part# 2762901A)

I'm new to the sport and not a guy who wants to just ride to a coffee shop and spit shine the bike in my free time. I WANT TO RIDE!!!

Can anyone help me?!?

Thanks in advance guys...
Yves C.
Ontario, Canada

Old 06-04-2009, 09:34 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

That sucks. My guess is that the TPS is on back order because a lot of guys have had the exact same thing happen. You might try calling customer support in Milwaukee.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Yves
Intermediate

my experience with customer support (in general) is that they're there to "note a problem", but nothing ever gets done about it.

I will call though...I've got nothing to lose right?

I hoped I'd be able to find the part somewhere...ebay, 3rd party distributor...but I've come up empty. I was told that the part has been used on sportsters since 2001, but this part specifically is a new generation because they'd apparently had problems with them before. (though I can't seem to find any history that would confirm that).

I'm so frustrated...the weather just got nice and now my wife will expect me to get some work done in the yard.

*** if anyone knows of anywhere I might be able to find this part, please let me know. Are there any Motorcycle Graveyards? Someone must have crashed a Nighter somewhere...did I mention I want to ride?!

Last edited by Yves; 06-04-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: wanted to add a bit at the end...
Old 06-04-2009, 10:18 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know js about the new bikes, but maybe someone has an idea to bypass the sensor for the time being. 6 weeks is a long time right in the middle of riding weather. Then again maybe it's not possible, just trying to help you find a way out.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Yves
Intermediate

I appreciate it. (though I'm not sure it's possible either)

Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TPS is a variable resistor. It's not a real essential part, but it serves two moderately important functions. One is detecting rapid throttle transitions for accel enrichment and decel enleanment. You can get by without that, you'll just get some hesitation, sputtering and exhaust popping. You can mostly avoid that by avoiding rapid throttle transitions. The other function is it's used for having the IAC track the throttle. That's controlling how much air you're actually getting at low throttle positions. You can always open the throttle more, but it's also used to keep from sufficating the engine when you close the throttle at relatively high rpms. That part is what's causing your problems idling, the IAC is too far open and you're getting too much air. A potentiometer in place of the TPS will let you bring that down so it idles fine, but enough air to keep it idling at 1k may not be enough to keep it running at 3k. So you're bike may well run like crap if you bypass the tps.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to be picky, but the breath bolts go into the cylinders, not the intake. The back plate mounts to the intake. The bolts with the kit should have been shorter since you discarded the plastic piece on the back of the air cleaner. I suggest you recheck to make sure you didn't reuse the original bolts for mounting it to the intake.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:24 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could always try talking the dealer into taking the sensor off of one of their showroom bikes to put it on yours, while they/you wait for the backordered part.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:42 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Yves
my experience with customer support (in general) is that they're there to "note a problem", but nothing ever gets done about it.

I will call though...I've got nothing to lose right?

I hoped I'd be able to find the part somewhere...ebay, 3rd party distributor...but I've come up empty. I was told that the part has been used on sportsters since 2001, but this part specifically is a new generation because they'd apparently had problems with them before. (though I can't seem to find any history that would confirm that).

I'm so frustrated...the weather just got nice and now my wife will expect me to get some work done in the yard.

*** if anyone knows of anywhere I might be able to find this part, please let me know. Are there any Motorcycle Graveyards? Someone must have crashed a Nighter somewhere...did I mention I want to ride?!
My thought was that making your argument (in a courteous professional way) with customer service might get you near the top of the list for the TPS when they become available. Someone is going to get the first one. I have only dealt directly with Harley's customer service twice. Both times they initially tried to brush off my concern, but with just a little persistence they ended up being my advocate with a dealer to get a problem fixed. It's worth a shot. In any event, I think it would be problematic for you to try and ride the bike unrepaired. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Yves
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LilBudyWizer
Not to be picky, but the breath bolts go into the cylinders, not the intake. The back plate mounts to the intake. The bolts with the kit should have been shorter since you discarded the plastic piece on the back of the air cleaner. I suggest you recheck to make sure you didn't reuse the original bolts for mounting it to the intake.
The bolts with the stock intake were more than twice the length of the new ones. The correct ones were used, they stuck out an 8th of an inch behind the new back plate. (just enough to reach the TPS)

I'm really just learning about bikes...so I do appreciate the explanation of why and how the part works. (your explanation makes sense)

Quick Reply: HELP? I'm very frustrated.