General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a difference a year makes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:18 PM
kykurnal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a difference a year makes...

Last July my son graduated from college so we bought him a new Ninja 650R; it was what he wanted and we didn't argue. My wife - tired of me moping around the house whining because I didn't have a bike - bought me my '08 FXDL. Lovely wife.

After 30+ years of not riding, it took me some time (and a broken bone) to get the hang of the Harley and now I go where and when I want, riding every chance I get.

The son, on the other hand, hardly ever rides. His bike sits in the garage, sad and dusty. So today, with him at an out-of-state wedding, I took it for a spin (first time riding a street bike).

Wow. I don't like the street bike style, but I must admit I was happily surprised at how light it was and how well it handled. It was a riot. Intending to only go around the block, I was gone for an hour. Even passed a rider on a RKC that refused my wave.

I immediately took the Dyna out when I got home. Big difference in switching from the Ninja to the Harley. Heavier, more effort to ride/steer, and that sound...

All said and done - I'd ride the Ninja anywhere locally, it really was a blast.

But I prefer the Harley. Open up the throttle and you're are transported to another dimension.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:23 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kykurnal
Last July my son graduated from college so we bought him a new Ninja 650R; it was what he wanted and we didn't argue. My wife - tired of me moping around the house whining because I didn't have a bike - bought me my '08 FXDL. Lovely wife.

That works???

After 30+ years of not riding, it took me some time (and a broken bone) to get the hang of the Harley and now I go where and when I want, riding every chance I get.

The son, on the other hand, hardly ever rides. His bike sits in the garage, sad and dusty. So today, with him at an out-of-state wedding, I took it for a spin (first time riding a street bike).

Wow. I don't like the street bike style, but I must admit I was happily surprised at how light it was and how well it handled. It was a riot. Intending to only go around the block, I was gone for an hour. Even passed a rider on a RKC that refused my wave.

I immediately took the Dyna out when I got home. Big difference in switching from the Ninja to the Harley. Heavier, more effort to ride/steer, and that sound...

All said and done - I'd ride the Ninja anywhere locally, it really was a blast.

But I prefer the Harley. Open up the throttle and you're are transported to another dimension.

Did the Harley rider wave after you switched?

Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Shame your son doesn't ride it a whole lot but thats cool that you took it for a spin and enjoyed it. Definitely two different worlds of bike.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:30 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know what you mean about heavy and handling. Every so often I take my wife's Honda Enduro (is that what they are still called) out and do the back roads for an hour or so. It is a diff when I get back on my bike. However her bike is not too much fun on the open road, get beat to death!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:33 PM
oneloudz71
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love everything about my Train but I must admit a sport bike is fun to blast around on.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:41 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Your Harley is a street bike. Perhaps you meant Sport Bike.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:54 PM
billyboy890
Extreme HDF Member

thats why l have two bikes the suzuki for those l gotta blast and l gotta blast now and the harley for those harley moments

Old 06-12-2009, 04:26 PM
kykurnal
Tourer

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Your Harley is a street bike. Perhaps you meant Sport Bike.
Yep - I stand corrected... I meant sport bike as opposed to street bike.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:27 PM
kykurnal
Tourer

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
That works???

Did the Harley rider wave after you switched?

I waved at a sport bike rider after I switched... does that count?

Old 06-12-2009, 05:35 PM
roewarrior
Cruiser

I hope you didn't wear a Harley jacket when you rode the Ninja. That would be an embarrassing faux pas.

Quick Reply: What a difference a year makes...