General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

marvel mystery oil? ever use it?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:53 PM
freebyrd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default marvel mystery oil? ever use it?

before my unfortunate job loss as manager of a wal mart auto express dept, i had a lot of people asking for it,

especially the old timers they swear by it and its been around since 1923, so its got a nice longevity going for it too,
well i picked up a large bottle of the stuff since the idle on the bob seemed a little rough and the acceleration through the power range seemed to be getting a little sluggish than i remember

well you can use this stuff in your gas tank and your oil,however i only put it in the tank on the harley
and put the rest in my wife's cage gas tank and oil pan,

and i must say i noticed an almost immediate improvement in both acceleration and idle on the harley as well as my wife's 06 suzuki grand vatara
so for the time being i have to give this stuff a thumbs up,
it seems to do what it claims and at a reasonable price too the large bottle was 3.24
some of the other products like gumout high performance and chevron techron were in the 7 to 9 dollar range
i also heard a lot of good recommendations for the berrymans chemtool liquid fuel additive
so if your bikes feeling a little sluggish try out these two they seem to perform well

Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Well...its a mystery to me...like you said, the old timers swear by it.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can also use it in place of Sta-Bil when storing gasoline, and it is an essential ingredient of homebrew octane booster.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:45 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never used it myself but one of the guys I ride with does.

He uses it in the gas tank. He will put in about an once per gallon of gas when we go on long ride thru different states. There IS a diffferencce in the quality of gas sold from state to state AND octane rating.

He swears by it but he is the only person I know that uses it in his bike. I also know a few people who us in it older vehicles both gas and oil.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put it everything that I own which consumes fuel.
In the oil tanks and the fuel cans.
Have been using MMO for at least 20 years and see no reason to stop.

This includes my bike(s) (07 ultra, 82 KZ440, 05 mini bike) my gas driven vehicle engines, all my lawnmowers, generators, and other equipment, and my all diesel powered trucks.

Works like a champ in air tools too.

It's friggin magic..and it's a mystery. Sux to be gettin' to be an old timer

Old 06-08-2009, 11:00 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,668 Posts

I remember when I was a kid and my dad had his trucking business, there was always a gallon can both at the house and at his shop. I remember asking him what it was and his answer was "it's good stuff". I may have to go get some and try using it. I didn't even know they still made it.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:15 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

most clear additives are lacquer thinner so no need to waste money on them when lacquer thinner is about $12 a gallon and produces same results. If i'm not mistaken Marvel Mystery oil is hydraulic oil at a higher price. It does work though. I use it in my hot rod to keep the needle from sticking in the rear bowl of my Holley due to not driving daily. in the late 50's my neighbor would put a quart of kerosene in his gas tank in his car every couple of fillups.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I know a lot of guys that run MMO in their vehicles (including bikes)..

As far as adding it to your fuel tank, most seem to use 1/2 ounce for each gallon of gas.

I use it from time to time in my '94 Grand Cherokee Limited, in both the gas and oil. It currently has over 225,000 miles on it without any major problems. In fact the valve covers have never been off the engine.

Seems to be good stuff.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to sell Auto Parts when I was young , and we sold allot of MMO . Everyone who bought it used it in both the gas tank and crankcase .

Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont use any additive in my fuel but I do use thier Air tool Oil....It is a good product...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: marvel mystery oil? ever use it?