General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Olive/Black Street Bob to Denim Black

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:01 PM
rockDAWG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Olive/Black Street Bob to Denim Black

My new used bike is Olive and black. It really NOT a fan of this color, and I want Flat black.

What is the less expensive way to get denim black? I am thinking to do the prep myself and take these parts out and lightly sand it and take it to the auto finisher to get them painted.

Has anyone done that and how much you did you pay?

Old 07-12-2009, 10:06 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Pull your tins and have them powder coated. Looks good, holds up well and is cheaper than painting.

FWIW, I think the olive/black paint scheme is kick ***.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:17 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

If painted at shop i doubt if your prepping will save U $. they prob won''t guarantee job if they don't do it all.

bottom line, U asked for cheapest, that would be rattle can it...

done my 2nd bike that way. turned out pretty good and still was till I sold it 3yrs later,

Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 AM
rockDAWG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by donr101395
FWIW, I think the olive/black paint scheme is kick ***.
You think? I thought it is in a state of ugly to OK. It can't be kick ***. I like black denim a lot, so I am going to stay with my choice.

Does anyone have a figure that I should aim for?

Old 07-13-2009, 01:08 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

You might be able to find a set of tins in denim black on ebay. I've seen them on there and didn't seem very expensive, probably take offs. You could then sell yours (BTW, I like that combo) and get some if not all of your money back.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:03 PM
elamey
Cruiser

06 DB Bob here...i've used grill black on my heat sheilds and it fits the bob to a t....if you want cheap, grill black rattle can. Easy touch up too. 2nd option powder coat. There is powdercoat primer so you can sand it flat before putting on denim black. You could also get the ol Harbor freight powdercoat gun and do it yourself in your oven at home (it'll stink the place up so open a window :-) oh and be sure to get ALL the gas vapors out of the tank :-)

FWIW - I think the olive/black is 3itch1n too. I'd offer to trade you my tins, but i've got scratches from breaking that cheap @$$ nylon clip they use to hold the seat bolt.

Last edited by elamey; 07-13-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:05 PM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, the olive / black paint is my favorite, but her, its your bike!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by elamey
06 DB Bob here...i've used grill black on my heat sheilds and it fits the bob to a t....if you want cheap, grill black rattle can. Easy touch up too. 2nd option powder coat. There is powdercoat primer so you can sand it flat before putting on denim black. You could also get the ol Harbor freight powdercoat gun and do it yourself in your oven at home (it'll stink the place up so open a window :-) oh and be sure to get ALL the gas vapors out of the tank :-)

FWIW - I think the olive/black is 3itch1n too. I'd offer to trade you my tins, but i've got scratches from breaking that cheap @$$ nylon clip they use to hold the seat bolt.
Don't cook food in that oven after you bake powder in it.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:54 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rockDAWG
You think? I thought it is in a state of ugly to OK. It can't be kick ***. I like black denim a lot, so I am going to stay with my choice.

Does anyone have a figure that I should aim for?

PM JRK5892, he's a site sponsor who runs a powder coat business. I'm sure he can work you up an estimate. The stuff he's posted that they've done looks outstanding.

Oh yea, Black Denim is cool, but not nearly as many olive/black bikes running around.......I think that's one of the reasons I like it.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:54 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Man, I really wish I had a set of denim black tins to trade you. That olive/black paint scheme is my favorite paint on a street bob. Looks very sharp!

Quick Reply: Olive/Black Street Bob to Denim Black