General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer ALMOST Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer ALMOST Stolen

Chalk one up to luck or the good guys here. I'm sitting in my office this morning when a guy that works here and knows I ride the motorcycle calls up and says he just pulled into the parking lot and there was a guy on my motorcycle with a guy next to him. When he got on the phone to call me he said they jumped in a truck and drove backwards out of the parking lot to the highway access road.

I went down to see if it was just dumbasses wanting to see what it felt like to sit on, or if they were really trying to steal it. Sure enough, the ignition lock and fork locks were broken so that neither will lock any more (though I'm amazed at the fact that there is no indication the fork lock is broken, and the only sign of the ignition getting jimmied are some small tool marks at the base of the switch). I "think" the HD security system the dealer has on all bikes (that I thought was silly) where you have to have the keyfob nearby to start it might have saved my *** a little. They probably tried to start it, but couldn't because of the security locking it down. Then my coworker showing up forced them to just bail.

So, I filed the report with the cops. They tried dusting for prints, but couldn't get anything (even mine) off it. Luckily our parking lot has security cameras, plus a guy that works at a restaurant nearby saw it all and gave me a plate # and description. The plate is off a salvage vehicle, so probably a stolen plate. The building manager is pulling the video to send to the police.

Even with the busted locks, I'm going glass is half full on this one and feeling lucky the motorcycle is still here, and with video and witnesses maybe there's a remote chance these guys will get busted. I asked the cops if it was wrong to wish for the death penalty. One of them rides a Fatboy so he said "Nope!"

Old 07-15-2009, 02:34 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good deal! Now lets hope the LEO that has the Fatboy takes....well shall we say a special interest in your situation!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:37 PM
norgepa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that all is right. I put rat traps in my bags at night when travelling. I haven't had any set off but I think I would hear if someone got curious! Someone on an earlier thread said HD offers "LowJack" ?

Attached Thumbnails Springer ALMOST Stolen-mvc-054s.jpg  
Old 07-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Outstanding news. I knew that security system would be worth it for someone, someday.

Let's hope they catch the idiots and then castrate them, with a dull and rusty butter knife.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:40 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Lucky you! I hope the LEOs get those sorry bassturds!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:42 PM
AK47
Road Captain

Wow talk about LUCK EY! I am glad you still have a bike!

Old 07-15-2009, 03:05 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Bike thieves, they should have just been gut shot.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:06 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Godd for you. OOOOO PLEASE LET THEM GET CAUGHT!!!

Old 07-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

Originally Posted by norgepa
Glad to hear that all is right. I put rat traps in my bags at night when travelling. I haven't had any set off but I think I would hear if someone got curious! Someone on an earlier thread said HD offers "LowJack" ?
Yeah, up to this point I had resisted things like LoJack, disc locks, and so on but I may have to think about those things. At the very least I'm giving serious thought to that pager thing HD offers as an add on to the security system that will alert me if they set off the system.

The bummer is that now I'm a little nervous about parking here at work. People have had cars busted into and things like radar detectors stolen, but this is the first I've heard of someone trying to steal a vehicle.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:14 PM
ronny c.
Tourer

watch out for bike-jackers also, 3 guys ina truck beside you at a red lite, 2 in back of truck. 2 in back jump out , 1 knocks you off the bike, b4 it falls over the other guy jumps on and takes off, knock off guy jumps back in truck, they take off. this takes 5 seconds, your standing in the intersection wondering what happened. it happening alot in atlanta rt. now.

Quick Reply: Springer ALMOST Stolen