General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hayden m6 primary chain tensioner vs Harley Davidson auto tensioner...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:34 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Hayden m6 primary chain tensioner vs Harley Davidson auto tensioner...

I searched and read a few different opinions on this topic, but wanted to ask again for opinions. I am planning on getting the Hayden m6 auto tensioner, although I have found a few instances where the shims and the actual bracket that holds the tensioner state that either and or both pieces might need to be ground down a little to fit properly. Who has experiece with the Hayden tensioner, and what is your experience? Did you have to drind down parts for it to fit properly, and did it really make the sifting seem less clunky? Obviously my bike does not have the auto harley tensioner on it.

Some say the Harley tensioner makes the chain too tight and that could possibly cause problems. Although, it is on all new bikes since 2007 and I have not really heard of any catasrophic failures related to it.

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:54 AM
flstfjeff
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hayden M6 failure

Check this out first, not judging, I found this article in A.I. mag. before I installed the HB125.The HB 125 has been working perfect, lessened the "clunk" by 50%.

Hey folks
I just pulled the outer primary for the third time in two months. Each time it was because of a slight ticking as the primary chain clipped the upper case when downshifting or idling while still cold. First two times I re-shimmed the Hayden I installed three years ago. Followed the instructions got it to spec and everything seemed okay. Couple of weeks later same problem would start. Today I took the upper chain, cold from sitting overnight, and pushed it up until it hit the case near the upper front bolt. It was easier than I thought it would be because the Hayden was completely collapsing on its two springs and the shoe was bottoming out. I took it out and returned to the stock adjuster and found the chain is not stretched as I feared. It adjusted perfectly. So that's good news. I can't complain after three years of maintenance free riding with the Hayden but thought I'd put it out there in case anyone has one and assumes it is still tight. Best take a peak in there for safety sake.

Dang if I don't think I just diagnosed and fixed my own problem..