General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer, Bear, Foxes OH NO!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 12:11 PM
outerbankshog
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deer, Bear, Foxes OH NO!!

I ride my 06 1200c to and from work @40 miles each way, every night riding home (1am) I'm constantly dodging deer, bear, foxes and other assorted small creatures. Last week while going around a curve I almost sideswiped a small bear. I really don't need to wreck my bike on a bear and **** him off while he tears me a new a$$.[:@] I usually ride around 40mph in 4th, they seem to scurry back in the woods when I throttle up. I have also added Aux lights whch help quite a bit picking up any movement on the road side. I have heard about the deer whistles, but do they work? I'm not sure which is worse, 2 legged cagers on cell phones or 4 legged critters out for a night stroll. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:13 PM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior
Default RE: Deer, Bear, Foxes OH NO!!

Deer are bad enough around here in KY, can't imagine having to dodge bears too

Old 05-30-2006, 12:13 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

I've got the whistle underneath my bike. I have about a 50 mile rural commute every day. Lots of deer. Haven't run into 1 yet,..so it must work. Got it from wally world for like $3.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:19 PM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior

Maybe my Guardian Bell will scare them off[sm=joke.gif]

Old 05-30-2006, 12:53 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my whistle for elephants. It works !

Old 05-30-2006, 01:05 PM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior

Yeah, I hear they are really bad in Tucson!

Old 05-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What you need is a horn that sounds like a cougar! Keep hitting it as you go around turns. That should scare them. [&:]

Man, I love riding, but what you are doing sounds more like Russian Roulette (is it still OK to say that?). A 1200 is no small vehicle, but nothing compared to a large deer or bear.

I hope you are wearing as much protection as you can. If you can't take out the danger, you can at least be protected if you go down.

my $.04 adjusted for inflation.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:14 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

Saw a post somewhere on this forum that the deer whistles are a waste of money. Deer hear on the same frequency as humans and do not even hear the deer whistles. I live in deer country and everyone of my neighbors including myself have hit several deer over the last 10 years with their vehicles. In some cases the deer hit them (ran into the side of their vehicle). Another myth is that deer only appear after dusk or at night. I have had deer run right across the road in front of me at noon on a bright sunny day. One of my neighbors has straight pipes on his bagger and he said he has seen less deer since he put them on. His pipes also scare the crap out of the dairy cows and **** off the farmer. I have yet to find anything that really works. If anyone has something that works please post ...................BG

Old 05-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hit a deer at 11;45 AM with my bagger doing 55 MPH, deer are not afraid of cars, motorbikes, or trucks, plenty of stories about deer just lowering their head and doing the charge thing. usually if you shoot at one and miss by a mile, they won't run either, the sound does not scare them, but I can't say that for sure, see, I hate them so much I never miss[sm=biker.gif]

Old 05-30-2006, 10:01 PM
RED E GLIDE
Tourer

I grew up in rural MD and have seen alot of deer and only hit one as a teenager.
I later installed an air horn on my 67 mustang. I installed the higher pitched small trumpet kind that is sold at many
auto part stores. When I spotted a deer I blast the horn a few seconds and the deer would run away. I later installed a lower tone air(with longer trumpets)
horn on my truck in the 80's and found it did not get the same reaction, the deer did not seem to care about the lower tone horn. I didn't buy either to scare
deer but I blew my horn alot at deer in rural MD and noticed the difference in reaction, or lack of reaction. I recently installed a new high pitched/small trumpet
air horn on my e-glide. I have not retested my earlier findings as I now live in FL subberbs. I bought the horn to scare the phone booth drivers. For $25
it is cheap insurance! I would put a cheap plasic deer wistle on my bike also if I liver in deer country! Just my .02, hope it helps someone.

Quick Reply: Deer, Bear, Foxes OH NO!!