General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic Headset Questions - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:47 PM
standavidson
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Classic Headset Questions - Please help!

hello, newbie here.

i have a 2008 Ultra Classic.

Also, i have a Zumo 550 & Apple iPHone.

I'm going in to have the Fariring Mount Kit installed (92366-08).

SO HERE'S MY QUESTIONS

I'm going to convert my iTunes library to .mp3 format....so i can upload those on my Zumo 550. Then, I plan to put that in through my stereo on my Ultra Classic. That should prevent me from having to have my iPod with me all the time.......

The Zumo 550 is connected to my iPhone via Bluetooth....but i can't talk while i'm riding......

So....

Can someone help me with a Bluetooth WIRELESS headset..... or just a regular HIGH QUALITY headset that

1. i can listen to the xm on my factory stereo - or .mp3 files off the
Zumo 550.

2. answer a call off my iPhone that is connected to my Zumo 550.

3. and can i still use my intercom to talk to my rear passenger?

i'm absolutely lost here..... but i'm looking for ideas on how to intergrate all this high tech (and expensive) gadgets where they will all work together.

thanks,

stan
2008 Ultra Classic
Springfield, Missouri

Old 08-06-2009, 04:52 PM
powaypete
Road Master

Originally Posted by standavidson
Can someone help me with a Bluetooth WIRELESS headset..... or just a regular HIGH QUALITY headset that

Your stock headset or one from J&M will work for all except the above. Why would you want to answer your phone while riding? More dangerous than riding a motorcycle!!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 05:05 PM
frankh
Club Member

Go to this link:
http://home.comcast.net/~jbissonette1/site/?/home/

He sells a device called "the bomm". It hooks to the wiring of your Ultra microphone, and makes it so that it works with your phone as well as your intercom when your phone is connected by bluetooth to your Zumo. I just purchased one from him and installed it, and it works great. Installation was a breeze and this guy was very helpful and shipped my order right away. Runs about $70. There are other, much more expensive electronic solutions to integrate all the pieces together, but this "bomm" is really "the bomb." If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM
pottsy
Road Master

Good grief, just pull over.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:27 PM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Answering a call would be no more dangerous than talking on the CB and that comes factory installed. It isn't like this guy is asking for advice on how to program his GPS while riding.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:21 PM
pottsy
Road Master

Originally Posted by crashin
Answering a call would be no more dangerous than talking on the CB and that comes factory installed. It isn't like this guy is asking for advice on how to program his GPS while riding.
Maybe so, but I don't recall any reports about wrecks being caused by a CB radio. Pretty obvious that cell phones cause them.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 PM
powaypete
Road Master

Originally Posted by crashin
Answering a call would be no more dangerous than talking on the CB and that comes factory installed.
Good Point!

Some phone calls would be business related or talking to a friend which is TIME CONSUMING (read that as more time with your attention away from what you should be doing).

CB talk is mostly short and to the point, not a full on conversation.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 PM
jimsmith94
Advanced

Another point to consider is that the 550 doesn't do stereo Bluetooth, so if you want your MP3s is stereo, it will have to be through the speakers or wired headset.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Stan ,,,,,,

my advice for what it is worth ,,,,,

DO NOT convert and upload all your music to the Garmin Zumo ,,,, keep your music on a separate device, like the I-pod and send it into your Harley system thru the aux-input port on the front of your HK radio ,,,,,,

that way you have more flexibility to integrate the Zumo into the system also, ,, so that you can listen to aux OR FM/CD etc,, use the cell phone thru your helmet headset, and hear the nav commands,,,,,, with J&M's integration modules or our competition's modules if you choose ,,,,

you probably don't like having to chage the batteries all the time in your I-pod, but that is little hassle indeed compared to the alternatives ,,,,,

JMJOHN ,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,

Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 AM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pottsy
Maybe so, but I don't recall any reports about wrecks being caused by a CB radio. Pretty obvious that cell phones cause them.
I hate to tell you but the "reports" you read are biased. There are a million distractions in a car. The person eating a burger is just as distracted as the cell phone driver, but no one is trying to outlaw drive through windows. I wonder why that is?

Truthfully all distractions are dangerous and you or they take risks by indulging in them, but you can't legislate the stupidity out of people. We as bikers tend to decry the loss of liberty due to regulations, but then again only if it is our liberties that are being infringed upon.

I'm not saying you should go text and drive, but everyone jumping on this guy who is asking for a ligitimate piece of advice for wanting a bluetooth connection for his helmet is rather annoying.

I was trying to talk to someone for directions to my destination yesterday. I had my helmet on, but I was sitting in a parking lot and it was a real pain in the ***. I really wish I had a bluetooth connection so I could have had a legible conversation without losing time to remove my helmet and shut everything down.

All I'm really saying is if you want to preach about not using your cellphone on a motorcycle do it in your own thread and let this guy talk to people who want to help him.

Quick Reply: Ultra Classic Headset Questions - Please help!