General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kickstart, Electric start

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 PM
blackbird1415
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kickstart, Electric start

Hey,

I was wondering if it would be possible to have both a kickstart and an electric start on a bike. Specifically a brand new Crossbones.

Any thoughts?

Tom

Old 08-13-2009, 01:40 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

This has been tried on the TC88's and it seems the problem is the kickstart can't spin the flywheel fast enough for the crank position sensor to do it's job, and initiate a firing impulse to the ECM and so on.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:24 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Yes it is possible, years ago many bikes came that way.

These days I wouldn't doubt if someone would make a fake kicker that could be bolted on just for looks.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:46 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My old 76 sportster had both until I took off piece of junk starter.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:57 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My Low Rider, back in 1980 had both. I don't know why. Took only a couple of kickbacks to get over the macho kickstart thing.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:08 PM
spooner
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
This has been tried on the TC88's and it seems the problem is the kickstart can't spin the flywheel fast enough for the crank position sensor to do it's job, and initiate a firing impulse to the ECM and so on.
Absolutely correct, on Twinkie's, the crank has to rotate about 3 times before a spark is sent. Impossible to do with a kick start. You can covert to a kick start, Baker Drivetrain has the transmission kit. You would have to change the electrical system from crank position to cam driven and swap the fuel injection to a carb.
It is possible but probably not worth the $$$$.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:05 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Ahh, the good old days. Low or dead battery, just kick start your ride. I think the elimination of the kick start was done for the same reason they stopped having centerstands.

To remove the 'rough' edge from motorcycles. And to make motorcycles more friendly to girls and other people that really weren't 'into' riding, or working on, motorcycles. At least not for anything more then transportation.

Now this wasn't meant to denigrate, or offend, anyone. It is just my opinion as to why the motorcycle companies would take such actions.

And I prefer the electric start. I just miss having the backup of a kick start.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 08-13-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 PM
JBA111
Road Captain

ANYONE who has actually kick started a bike more than a couple times will love electric start!!! ANYONE!!! all this macho crap may be ok out in the ever hot weather of the west coast, but let it get cold and damp and if that baby aint in perfect tune and you dont do every thing in the right order, you can kick your *** off!! and then go back in and have another beer so things dry out and then come out and try again.
I had the old 6volt kick start systems and my baby would fire up after months of not running, IF I DID EVERY THING IN ORDER AND DID IT RIGHT!!!!I had a shovelhead kick and it was better but still a pain in the ***.
ask anyone who got kicked back on an old Harley if they like the button or the ground!!!
listen I had a lil ol sportster that would start on the 3nd kick NO MATTER WHAT, if yo did everything right, if you had one beer too many she wouldnt.
I've been ridein Harleys since 1969, got several hundred thousand miles rolled up on Harleys, give me ELECTRIC START!!! you macho boys start with whatever the hell you want to!!!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:51 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

theres a good article on this in one of the newer Iron Works.

You need to change the ignition system, get rif of EFI and buy a kicker case tranny.

Too much involved for that swap.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:06 AM
blackbird1415
Stage II

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of buying this bike new from a dealer and having them install it. Just to clarify I was looking if it was possible to have both an electric and a kick. The flstsb is such a cool looking retro bike, it needs a retro start mechanism, for those off days I'm looking to impress someone.

Thanks

Tom

Quick Reply: Kickstart, Electric start