Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 08-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Rider
Angry PA Motorcycle Inspection Rip-off

I moved to Pennsylvania last January and registered and inspected my bike in February. I took the bike in for service yesterday and was informed that my inspection had expired in July!

From the PennDOT FAQ page:

"Upon passing a safety inspection most passenger cars and light trucks will receive an inspection sticker valid for one year from the month of inspection or one year from the expiration of the current inspection sticker on the vehicle...."

However, this does not apply to motorcycles! They publish a chart for motorcycles that in affect shows that if you register your bike between November and May, your first inspection is only good for 6 months. Of course you still get charged for a full year!

If I hadn't taken the bike in for service I would not have realized this was the case until next January. (The 7 on the inspection sticker looks a lot like a 1). Or have been stopped and ticketed!

Anyone know why motorcycles are treated different than cars here in Taxsylvania?

2008 FLHTCU w/ABS
White Gold/Black Pearl

Last edited by warthawg; 08-19-2009 at 12:12 PM..
Old 08-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

You moved one state too far to the east... Ohio doesnt do all that inspection junk! Who dey!

'08 Street Bob
V&H Shortshots Staggered, PCIII, Fatboy Headlight, 2" Jackyl Tank Lift, Loner Ind. Riser Extensions, Hogrida Apes, Detachable Bags, etc.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Supporter
na na na na

Welcome to the Commonwealth Of PA Our DOT SUCKs AZZ!!!!! Yes indeed this is just one of many bullch!t things they pull. BTW if you happen to get a ticket on your bike and they add a charge called CAT fund, don't pay it!!! Motor cycle traffic citations do not pay into the CAT fund. I found this out from a ABBAT lawyer. The cops still add it to the ticket and if you don't know the law and pay it, then it's your loss.

PA doesn't hate motorcycles per say, they just love to grab money every chance they get. I've delt with them a few times and even when they screw up, you still pay.

What part of PA You from? ...........Yes We call it PA
Old 08-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Prospect

I have never had to do that. My bike is due for new registration and inspection each April. It costs me $18 for the registration and $30 for the inspection. From what I have seen on the forum the $18 is a bargain and I hope that lasts.

"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan
Old 08-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Hang Around
Default inspection

I think the reason they did that was that too many people were using the excuse that it was winter and there was snow on the ground so i could not get my bike inspected. Now you cant use that excuse the way they set the due dates up. i think the latest stickers expire in october(10) and the earliest stickers start in may(5). No more 11,12,1,2,3,and 4's. The first one gets you if you register your bike in any of those months. Your plate no longer matches your sticker.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Prospect

Whats a motorcycle inspection???
Old 08-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Hang Around

Pa sucks. I hate it.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Elite HDF Member

The only good thing about inspections in PA is if you live in a county that has emission inspection for cars you are exempt if you put on less that 5000 miles a year. That's the only good part, the rest blows.

07 FXDB
Thundermax, Ohlins, 30T, Big Sucker
Old 08-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Hang Around

haha I put around 35k miles a yr on my truck
Old 08-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94fatboy View Post
Whats a motorcycle inspection???
its a byproduct of bitching on forums and electing idiots. if everyone called their representatives' office on the day they got their inspections, there would be no more inspections.

ya can't go through life watching teevee, talking big, and wishing for change without making payments for the privilege.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:56 PM

P

Tags
chart, chat, cost, davidson, emissions, forum, harley, inspection, inspections, motorcycle, motorcycles, pa, pennsylvania, state, sticker, year