General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Harley-Davidson Plant

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:47 PM
fatvette
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Harley-Davidson Plant

I am somewhat surprised that this hasn't been brought up yet so if it has then I apologize and will delete it.

It looks like HD has confirmed that they are looking at four possible sites to replace the York, PA plant. They are Shelbyville Indiana, Murfreesboro Tennessee, Shelbyville Kentucky and Kansas City. If they pick Kansas City it would be adjacent to the existing plant already there.

Link to MSN Money article

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...20&id=10301949

Kansas City is one of four sites that Harley-Davidson Inc. is considering for a potential new factory, the motorcycle manufacturer said late Thursday.

A new plant in Kansas City would operate in addition to the company’s existing plant here, Harley-Davidson spokesman Bob Klein said.

“Today we were in Kansas City, looking at Kansas City as a fourth possible alternative site,” Klein said. “Were we to be in Kansas City as an alternative site, it would be adjacent to the existing site there.”

On Wednesday, management of Milwaukee-based Harley-Davidson visited a site in Shelbyville, Ind., Klein said. Earlier in the week, the company scouted sites in Murfreesboro, Tenn., and Shelbyville, Ky., he said.

The four cities are finalistsbeing considered as an alternativeto keeping production in York, Pa., where Harley-Davidson has about 2,500 employees.

A new plant in Kansas City would be a welcome addition, considering Milwaukee-based Harley (NYSE: HOG)said in Julythat it would cut about 400 jobs at the Kansas City plantin the next two years, leaving about that many employees at the plant. The current Kansas City plant produces Sportster and V-Rod models. The new plant would provide final assembly of Harley-Davidson’s Softail and Touring motorcycles.

Harley-Davidson ranks No. 51 on the Kansas City Business Journal’s list area private employers

And this is a link to a small blurb about it on one of our local Indianapolis stations.
http://www.theindychannel.com/money/...83/detail.html

SHELBYVILLE, Ind. -- Harley-Davidson is taking to the roads of central Indiana as it scouts locations for a possible assembly plant.

The motorcycle manufacturer has visited four cities across the country, including Shelbyville, in its search, said spokesman Bob Klein.

Officials are also considering sites in Kentucky and Tennessee.

Klein said the decision would likely be made by the end of the year. The plant could bring 1,000 new jobs to the state.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:09 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well at least there's one US company that isn't selling out the American people and is keeping its manufacturing ON shore.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

What is so attractive about Kansas City? Ford moved production from Norfolk to Kansas city for their F150's a couple of years ago. Are they offering big tax incentives or is the labor just cheaper? I suppose it could be the central location making shipping a little less expensive.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by overhead
What is so attractive about Kansas City? Ford moved production from Norfolk to Kansas city for their F150's a couple of years ago. Are they offering big tax incentives or is the labor just cheaper? I suppose it could be the central location making shipping a little less expensive.
Ford is in the process of elliminating, or at least curtailing operations at taht particular plant. F-150 production is currently about 80% done in Dearborn, Mi., ad Ford is looking to take the larger bed models of the F-150 back to Dearborn.

That wouldleave Kansas City for the bigger trucks only...noty alot of demand for the f-250 and up..

I have to wonder at the WHY of moving a plant like that, its really not gonna save any money, unless its re-designed to add more robotcs and technology. Otherwise, you still need the same number of workers...

Old 08-20-2009, 08:32 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Vell come to Ind, we"ll give then a quad zillion in tax relief and have all kinds of skilled and assembley worker just begging for any work...thanks to the past 8yrs of the Bush plans and our great Mitch the Bi!ch gov we have...

Old 08-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i just emailed the economic development folks in shelbyville (ky) asking what they were doing to entice hd to the area.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Neal Smith
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the jobs the people are losing in pa. So Harley can pay a lower rate to there employees and charge us the same or more. ky.+1000 pa-1000+ I guess we are just lucky they are staying in the country

Old 08-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Neal Smith
ky.+1000 pa-1000+ I guess we are just lucky they are staying in the country
York isn't exactly thriving and closing that plant might as well pull the plug on that area.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:42 PM
baldric
Road Warrior
Received 3,094 Likes on 649 Posts

Shelbyville??? It appears Homers crew the "Hells Satans" in Springfield will be switching to Goldwingydings. On a more serious point at least it isnt in China or Mexico, at least they can keep the Made in America issue a little tighter.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:43 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tinker1
Well at least there's one US company that isn't selling out the American people and is keeping its manufacturing ON shore.
I have more solitude with my decision to purchase a Harley. Sorry for the folks in York, PA., but it might be something to bring up to their respected Congressmen and Senators in that State.

Reviewing the attached link...it sounds like President Obama truly held his campaign promise to bring "change" if you voted for him. Or maybe Harley decided to bring a factory back to the United States? I wonder what they will do with the plant, and Museum in Wisconsin? I will let the reader, poster, Harley enthusiast decided. I am just bringing the goods. Go President Obama! (I do not need an email for the Administration pegging me) GO PRESIDENT OBAMA! Bring some more "change." I need it for my last dollar bill............

Election Results by State

Last edited by "Dutch"; 08-20-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Quick Reply: New Harley-Davidson Plant