General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Sport Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:54 AM
socalsoftail
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Davidson Sport Bike?

Anyone think Harley will ever put the revolution engine in a sport bike? Or maybe a Buell? And do you think it would be a good move for them.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:04 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser
Default RE: Harley Davidson Sport Bike?

My GUESS would be YES and YES!

ORIGINAL: socalsoftail

Anyone think Harley will ever put the revolution engine in a sport bike? Or maybe a Buell? And do you think it would be a good move for them.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:12 AM
socalsoftail
Advanced

I would buy it too. I just cant bring myself to buy anything not american, thats number one the second is not sure i want to spend the money on a buell when i think harley will bring out a revolution sport bike.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:27 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser

Well not to beat a dead horse because this little fact doesn't matter but keep in mind this is a global economy. Harley's an American BASED company but a good percentage of the parts are made in Asia ... like the suspension. And the Revolution is a German motor design. There's no such thing as a 100% American motorcycle anymore, except maybe one of those hand made choppers. I'd LOVE to see Harley be a 100% American bike again but as long as quality parts can be made cheaper in other countries it'll never happen.

Buy a Harley because you LOVE Harley's ... I do too! But not because of the flag, Unfortunately WE'RE more patriotic and loyal than our big corporations.

I would buy it too. I just cant bring myself to buy anything not american, thats number one the second is not sure i want to spend the money on a buell when i think harley will bring out a revolution sport bike.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:45 AM
socalsoftail
Advanced

well they had to adapt to become dominate a globe.........at least its an american company that builds its bikes here. And its a bike and an ideal that is the same since the 30's

Old 06-09-2006, 03:48 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser

No agrument ... just wanted to make sure you realized they are global ... not 100% American made. I wish they were.

well they had to adapt to become dominate a globe.........at least its an american company that builds its bikes here. And its a bike and an ideal that is the same since the 30's

Old 06-09-2006, 04:05 AM
socalsoftail
Advanced

I am a ford tech by trade. I understand about the global parts ****.........but I still like to keep it american. Im not one of those guys that think that harley uses american made chrome heat sheilds and electrical parts.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:30 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser

No offence friend ...

I like to wave the flag too. I just hate it when people talk about Harley's who are misinformed. Obviously you're not. My opinion is ride what you love and love what you ride.

Peace!

I am a ford tech by trade. I understand about the global parts ****.........but I still like to keep it american. Im not one of those guys that think that harley uses american made chrome heat sheilds and electrical parts.
[/quote]

Old 06-09-2006, 04:31 AM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could happen, but Erik Buell would have been misleading when in a Fuell article he notes having zero interest in the V-Rod engine... reasons included the heavy weight of the Revolution engine and the unsightly water-cooled plumbing.

Two other factors I'm sure Milwaukee understands... when asked why the Buell Ulysses was an Adventure Tourer versus Sport Tourer it was noted how "grim" was the size of the sport touring market. Recognize this isn't a sportbike per se but there are some parallels. Last, the sportbike market is extrememly refined and competitive. I think Harley would be extremely reluctant to wade in with a product not that competitive.

The Revolution engine is a competitive power cruiser engine but the power to weight would need to be enhanced significantly to come close to even what was available in a sport bike chassis years ago. My eight year old v-twin Honda Superhawk engine runs circles around the engine in my V-Rod. And in a market where specs are worshipped, in a market highly competitive, in a market not that big, H-D would really have to think this through. It is why many have thought H-D would invest in a manufacturer of sporting or high performing bikes. Victory pulled an investment coup by getting to KTM (And an orange/black themed company at that!) before H-D. Victory knew what they were doing and what they don't know how to do. Additionally, it is the off road market growing big time.

Net, I don't expect a Revolution based sport tourer or sportbike anytime soon, except for the air-cooled interpretations we see in Buell. However, there are rumors a liquid cooled Buell is around the corner, despite what Erik Buell said. Maybe it is a Revolution based engine that has gone on a diet and pumped some iron.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:34 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: rrlavigne
And the Revolution is a German motor design.
Not quite true. It was actually a Harley VR1000 engine that was tweaked by Porsche engineers.

Now that was a cool looking bike. I haven't seen one in person yet, but on 2 Wheel Tuesday (or Corbin's, something on Speed Channel) they went to a guy that had two of them, and he took them out. Looked and sounded quite nice!

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Sport Bike?