General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is wrong with RevTech engines?

RevTech engines are appealing to some because of their price. Many members have reported issues with the engines and steer many people clear of them.

Read Below to find out:
-What issues people are having with RevTech engines
-What engine to buy instead of RevTech
-What issues other engines have
Print Wikipost

What is wrong with RevTech engines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:47 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

When one thinks about using any engine from a minor manufacturer one must ask this question. How many resources are devoted to testing in varied conditions?

Only the major manufacturers do this kind of testing because 1. They can amortize the cost over a lot of product. 2. They have the absolute $$$ to make a million miles of testing happen. 3. They have the resources to make even major changes if there are problems. Etc. etc.

It took Harley several years to develop the twin cam engine, solve the cooling problems in a wind tunnel and then further refine the design on a test track in the Arizona desert.

Granted, most aftermarket engines are based on proven designs, but the public is the beta tester. Most of these engines never see the kind of mileage a Harley rider rides. And as a collective group, they couldn't. Harley riders as a group must ride over a Billion miles per year as Harley sells around 250,000 motorcycles year in and year out.

The aftermarket companies simply can't afford that kind of testing, nor are even ridden enough miles to know whether or not they're really any good.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:21 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Even with all the alleged "testing" the do, they still put out bikes with problems. Excess heat from twin cam motors, what about cam chain shoes that wore out too fast, brake recalls, leaks with water cooled head motors?. After all the "testing", there shouldn't be problems, but there is. Not only Harley tho, other brands have their share of them. And for millions of miles of testing? heck they themselves said they only tested their SYN III oil for 250k before they started selling it. I guess they figured oil is oil , and how bad could theirs be?.,,,

Old 11-14-2015, 06:35 PM
Michael Brennan
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nonsense

[QUOTE=olozada;these things a

Revtech is cheaper because it was made in Korea. But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts. So the buy American crap doesn't hold water; they are built (Assembled) in America.

S & S cost more and is used more. Ultima falls second in terms of cost with Revtech coming in 3rd at cost.

If you look around and ask questions you will find plenty of people who have had problems with all 3 and people who stand by all 3. However you will hear plenty stories about "my friend had". It boils down to assembly. All the problems end up being because something locked up because it was assemble wrong or improper spacings or torque.

I have been leaning towards a 110 Revtech and here is why:

I believe if an engine is as good as a manufacturer makes it sound and a dealer stands behind it. Then they whould give you a warranty that reflects that same level of confidence. If I spend my money on your product, I made a large commitment to your product. So, I expect you will make the same level of commitment to me. That being said Revtech gives you a 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty with their engines. Ultima gives 1 year and S & S gives you 6 months.

So the more money you pay, the less warranty you get in return. I don't care what people who don't have a Revtech are saying about them. Like the old saying goes "put your money where your mouth is". When is S & S and Ultima going to put their money where their mouth is.

One dealer told me and I quote. "We carry all 3 but if you want to know the truth; the best engine is Revtech. It has a better warranty and it is more advanced. Everyone talks S & S but they have gotten more expensive but are being made cheaper and they lowered their warranty to six months".

These are my oppinions, don't take my word..look around for yourself.[/QUOTE]

So because harley makes the unamerican choice of using unamerican parts I should do this to save a few bucks on an inferior motor? No thanks I'll stick with my American S&S motor.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:32 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

Allow me to correct some of the dis-information being put out about S&S engines. I have the S&S V111 in my RK. The V111 comes with a 2 year warranty with the Super Stock ignition, and a 3 year warranty with the Intelligent Spark Technology (IST) ignition system.

Check the table at the bottom of the page on this link to S&S's website, if there's any doubt about that.

http://www.sscycle.com/go-fast-showc...-engines/v111/

Old 11-15-2015, 08:09 AM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

When the time comes I will get a rebuild book. Take my engine to a good machine shop. Rebuild it myself with top quality components.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:47 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,651 Likes on 6,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadghost
When the time comes I will get a rebuild book. Take my engine to a good machine shop. Rebuild it myself with top quality components.
That's what I did when the 1 year old Evo scissored the crankshaft. I used top quality S & S cases & cylinders, 41/2 stroke flywheels, Wiseco pistons, Wood W9 cam, ported SE heads, Jims roller rockers, etc.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:40 PM
Revtech125
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revtech 125

Hello all first timer! Noticed a lot of the post are old. But thought I'd put my 2 cents in about revtech I have a 96 roadking put a 125 revtech in it 4 years ago have 40 thousand miles on it.. Cons first the goofy ignition cover they have is a pain in the *** for pipes to go around it. The pros never had any problems with it... and will smoke any street bike I've come across have the stock 5 speed in it at freeway speeds around 80 I open the throttle and hit 110 in the blink of an eye bottomed out the speed o meter but the bike starts getting a speed wobble which is normal for a touring bike sense I've owned it haven't come across any v twin that can keep up...even a screaming eagle 120 with a 6 speed.. thats my 2 cents about revtech..😁

Old 06-11-2016, 02:01 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Revtech125
Hello all first timer! .

The pros ... will smoke any street bike I've come across
You don't get around much, do you?

The following users liked this post:
joes bar and grill (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 03:11 PM
joes bar and grill
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
You don't get around much, do you?

Old 06-11-2016, 03:28 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Nice first post.

With a username like that........................

Quick Reply: What is wrong with RevTech engines?