Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

P

Old 05-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shotDerringer View Post
brotha... i have a 100" revtech and have absolutely no problems with it ever. i've let 1-2 ft. snow storms thrash my bike for whole seasons at a time (out of sheer laziness) and everytime i turn my baby over she starts right up. i've had it for 3 years now and it's never left me on the side of the road anywhere.
Let me guess, 3 years @ 500 miles/year = 1500 total miles.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
04 1200C - Hammer 1250 - Smash Heads - .560 Cams - Supertrapp - Hurricane Flow A/C - TC88A Ignition

Old 07-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Hang Around
Default revtech 110

hi all. decided to join in after reading your comments last several months. couple years back i blew up my 1995 84 cui evo at 95,000 due to hauling a trailer at least 55,000 of that. i alternate between local running and one or two long-hauls per year. needed a bigger motor for my two wheel hauler so my dealer sold me a revtech whole drive train. 110 + 6 spd. so far, 13,000 miles no problems except the electronic ignition module failed in 1st 500 miles and that was a common item easy to find. run amsol synthetic in it. have an oil cooler on it. about to put a baker +1 for the extra quart. i don't hammer the engine but it gets long hours of moderate load and sometimes a long uphill grind.

my only complaint is about cci. cci makes themselves real hard to reach. i'm trying to call them to ask specific technical questions regarding the engine because the only paper work that came with it was the set up stuff, parts list, and exploded pix of interior assemblies.

for what its worth.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by olozada View Post
I believe if an engine is as good as a manufacturer makes it sound and a dealer stands behind it. Then they whould give you a warranty that reflects that same level of confidence. If I spend my money on your product, I made a large commitment to your product. So, I expect you will make the same level of commitment to me. That being said Revtech gives you a 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty with their engines. Ultima gives 1 year and S & S gives you 6 months.
That sounds good at first, but it's actually backwards.

Warranties are not a measure of the manufacturer's "confidence" in their product; that's just how marketing departments spin things. Warranties actually exist as a way to entice customers into an option that is suspect in terms of quality (either in perception or in actuality). This is why a Hyundai has a 100,000 mile warranty while a Honda has a 36,000 mile warranty. Generally speaking, long warranties indicate that the company has had significant problems with either actual or perceived quality and is using the warranty as a means of reassuring customers.

Brands with strong reputations do not need long warranties because customers are already confident. Frankly, judging by just how wildly out of proportion RevTech's warranty is when compared to more respected brands like S&S, RevTech appears to be overcompensating for significant real or perceived flaws in their engines.

2007 XL1200R
1982 Honda CB450SC
Old 07-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyguy5571 View Post
You must work for Revtech lol

Seems pretty convincing to me.
He made a point and brough facts to substantiate it, while all the others just blab about "I heard this", "My friend said", "A friend of the cousin of my brother in law said"...
Warranty means the maker is ready to stand by his product.
Ultima and S&S warranties wouldn't even be legal here in Italy.

I listen to the music of the machine.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmervolt View Post
That sounds good at first, but it's actually backwards.

Warranties are not a measure of the manufacturer's "confidence" in their product; that's just how marketing departments spin things. Warranties actually exist as a way to entice customers into an option that is suspect in terms of quality (either in perception or in actuality). This is why a Hyundai has a 100,000 mile warranty while a Honda has a 36,000 mile warranty. Generally speaking, long warranties indicate that the company has had significant problems with either actual or perceived quality and is using the warranty as a means of reassuring customers.

Brands with strong reputations do not need long warranties because customers are already confident. Frankly, judging by just how wildly out of proportion RevTech's warranty is when compared to more respected brands like S&S, RevTech appears to be overcompensating for significant real or perceived flaws in their engines.
That is tantamount to saying that taking prescriptions gets you ill because healthy people don't need medicines.
A company has to honor the warranty terms. If it breaks, they have to fix or substitute it for free. Which is a BIG cost for the company.
And, guess what, stuff with long warranties rarely breaks.
Following your line of reasoning, lifetime warranty would indicate the ultimate crap.
Just as an example, the new Kia Cee'd has a 7 years warranty, and is indeed one of the most reliable cars around. The Toyota Yaris has 5 years.

I listen to the music of the machine.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Club Member

An engine is only as good as the owners maintenance...If you drop in an aftermarket motor and immediately beat the crap out of it, you're playing with fire!!
Old 07-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsterBob View Post
An engine is only as good as the owners maintenance...If you drop in an aftermarket motor and immediately beat the crap out of it, you're playing with fire!!
+1 on that. I think alot of people rag the s**t out of "high performance" engines without proper break-in and maintanence and complain about how crappy the company is when it blows up...
Old 07-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Extreme HDF Member

They sure had their share of problems at first,haven't paid much attention to them lately with all the premium motors R&R,Hyperformance,S&S,and others.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Hang Around

I love this bike, it's for sale and thats why I'm wondering about these motors
Old 09-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Road Captain

Looks like a clean bike to me. I would ask the owner for service records. As stated earlier proper maintanence is key to longevity.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:20 PM

P