General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is wrong with RevTech engines?

RevTech engines are appealing to some because of their price. Many members have reported issues with the engines and steer many people clear of them.

Read Below to find out:
-What issues people are having with RevTech engines
-What engine to buy instead of RevTech
-What issues other engines have
Print Wikipost

What is wrong with RevTech engines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:28 PM
gpg95
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by olozada
You know the only problem I have is....people saying how bad Revtechs are but have never had one. I have been shopping for an engine and to make it fair, I asked dealers who sell all 3 ( S & S, Ultima and Revtech). Here is what I have found and don't tak my word, look into it yourself. 8 out of 10 dealers will tell you these things about all 3:

Revtech is cheaper because it was made in Korea. But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts. So the buy American crap doesn't hold water; they are built (Assembled) in America.

S & S cost more and is used more. Ultima falls second in terms of cost with Revtech coming in 3rd at cost.

If you look around and ask questions you will find plenty of people who have had problems with all 3 and people who stand by all 3. However you will hear plenty stories about "my friend had". It boils down to assembly. All the problems end up being because something locked up because it was assemble wrong or improper spacings or torque.

I have been leaning towards a 110 Revtech and here is why:

I believe if an engine is as good as a manufacturer makes it sound and a dealer stands behind it. Then they whould give you a warranty that reflects that same level of confidence. If I spend my money on your product, I made a large commitment to your product. So, I expect you will make the same level of commitment to me. That being said Revtech gives you a 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty with their engines. Ultima gives 1 year and S & S gives you 6 months.

So the more money you pay, the less warranty you get in return. I don't care what people who don't have a Revtech are saying about them. Like the old saying goes "put your money where your mouth is". When is S & S and Ultima going to put their money where their mouth is.

One dealer told me and I quote. "We carry all 3 but if you want to know the truth; the best engine is Revtech. It has a better warranty and it is more advanced. Everyone talks S & S but they have gotten more expensive but are being made cheaper and they lowered their warranty to six months".

These are my oppinions, don't take my word..look around for yourself.
Her's somthing for you to think about.I recently bought a 110 and love it.I put the motor in my roadking and that baby screams.I have had pretty good luck so far.I have approx 3500 miles on it with no problems except for a couple of rear tires,they just seam to all of a sudden go bald.anyhow Im happy with mine withthe exception of the mukuni carb. It makes alot of noise.[they call it aq rattle,icall it a tick.If you read up on mukuni's you'll find that this is normal.good luck

Old 07-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,345 Likes on 3,279 Posts

I have heard good and bad stuff about just anything sold...The greatest thing to me might be a piece of **** to you....get what you feel confident in getting and what you can get support on.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:41 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyguy5571
You must work for Revtech lol

And not know much about Harleys.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Scott Cummings
Stage I

Owner of Revtech 125. bonafide and no secondhand info. Been riding for a lot of years and have done numerous mods to atvs, sleds, and motorcycles. I like to get the performance and retain reliability,thats how I roll.
The only problem I had was during a warranty that was totally backed up by Custom Chrome, was a casting flaw in the dome of the head. They took care of it, no questions. The motor has held together well. It generates a lot of heat! I put this motor in at the recommendation of a shop into a 1998 ultra classic.
The motor had been disassembled for some porting and it leaked oil in the rear head and the front cam was coming loose because of improper torquing. I cannot bash the Revtech motor at all. I have beat some tuned full dressers,american and japs. This motor has the decompression valves to make it easier to start which is a pain. Getting the motor properly tuned was a bugger but does not reflect on the power and reliability of the Revtech motor.
So there ya go, I only wish I would have stayed with a lower displacement such as a 110. In my years its easy to say shoulda woulda coulda, now I got to replace the stock clutch because of the extra torque. Have fun guys and gals, get out there and make some noise!!!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

How many miles on it?

Originally Posted by Scott Cummings
Owner of Revtech 125. bonafide and no secondhand info. Been riding for a lot of years and have done numerous mods to atvs, sleds, and motorcycles. I like to get the performance and retain reliability,thats how I roll.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

A little history for you.

In 1969, the DOT specification changed from titleing motorcycles to the engine, to titleing them to the frame. (titling?)

So, all those custom choppers, that used to be titled as Harleys were titled special construction after that.

Harley developed the shovelhead motor before they were bought out by AMF. AFter the buyback, the EVO, and a lot of the R&D on it, was Harley, while Harley was owned by AMF.

That's the reason for all the loopholes surrounding the EVO design. They didn't control all of the patents. Of course, in 1999 some people said that Harley_Davidson died from greed. Not true, they just did what anone in their shoes would have done, and protected their intellectual property.

In the meantime, lot's of others have made Evo engines. Remember that Harley's EVO design was an 80 cubic inch motor. The designs you're talking about here are much larger in comparison. There hasn't been a lot of redesign of the other integral components along with that. Including bolting that motor up to a drivetrain that was originally designed for an 80 CI motor.

Issues? You betcha. Know why? Sure you do. Build a 100 evo out of Harley motor and ask the moco to warranty it. Not going to happen. They'll reman an 80 for you, or maybe even sell you a new one, but that's as big as they will go. But they will sell you a 110 TC with a warranty. Because they know what the engine is capable of.

4200 dollars is a lot to pay for a motor when you still need all of the rest of the drivetrain components. I have seen complete Evo bikes going for less that 6 Gs. Check cycle trader.

All about what you want out of a build. You go bigger, you'll have more issues. That's a given.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Roar'n
Stage I

I've owned 5 HD's, loved them all, never had an engine problem with any of them. I bought a custom hardtail 5 years ago ( American Eagle ) , the bike is a 2000, and the Rev Tech 100 cu in. is a couple years newer. I don't know if the engine was modified with a hotter cam before I bought it ( with 3,000 miles on the motor ), but I never felt so much power in all 5 gears. Its almost scary when I get on it hard , even with me riding for the last 45 years.
I run it Real hard every time I ride it, and I got to say , it's twice as fast as my previous HD, a stock '97 Fatboy. I love this motor, and with the straight pipes I run, it Roars like a hungry beast. " It's all good", just get out there. A few bugs in your teeth won't kill ya, but beware of those texters !
Ps: I really miss my stock '58 Panhead. Best bike I ever owned, and loved.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:38 PM
sLaMMEdTrAiN12
Stage IV

I just blew my stock 80" Evo Saturday. I have seen alot about S&S and RevTech in this thread. What about Ultima? Of course alot of people who have rode a newer bike who own a 80" Evo wants more power. The 80" Evo even with a mild set of cams and head work can be spanked by a 88TC. Thats why we are looking at a larger after market motor. The money you spend to build your stock Evo up to some good ponies will almost cost you as much as buying an after market 100" motor. Looking at these after markets though can become a huge headache. 3 options. But all in all this entire thread has bashed Revtech. Nothing about an Ultima, and obviously S&S is #1 because its the oldest and has already proven itself. Yet the S&S components fail just as much as Harley components. IMO

Old 08-29-2012, 09:00 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,431 Likes on 5,918 Posts

Had a chopper a couple of years ago that had a 100" Rev Tech, 2nd Gen, and it was damn fast, but i had it set up with twin Mikuni carbs. Never had any issues with it, and i rode it fairly hard....

I've got a 117" S&S in my current chopper, and now that i got er dialed in, she runs like a raped ape. Pop that clutch and your a$$ is against the rear fender.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:41 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just go with HD.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with RevTech engines?