General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is wrong with RevTech engines?

RevTech engines are appealing to some because of their price. Many members have reported issues with the engines and steer many people clear of them.

Read Below to find out:
-What issues people are having with RevTech engines
-What engine to buy instead of RevTech
-What issues other engines have
Print Wikipost

What is wrong with RevTech engines?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=sLaMMEdTrAiN12;10268416. The 80" Evo even with a mild set of cams and head work can be spanked by a 88TC. [/QUOTE]

Please don't ell my little eve motor this-----------its not real smart and spanks 103s that only have the stage one programming up to triple digits when the 6 spd trumps my 4 spd

Also PLEASE , PLEASE ,don't tell it that it needs CAMS,I only let it have one

Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Mark_H
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sLaMMEdTrAiN12
I just blew my stock 80" Evo Saturday. I have seen alot about S&S and RevTech in this thread. What about Ultima? Of course alot of people who have rode a newer bike who own a 80" Evo wants more power. The 80" Evo even with a mild set of cams and head work can be spanked by a 88TC. Thats why we are looking at a larger after market motor. The money you spend to build your stock Evo up to some good ponies will almost cost you as much as buying an after market 100" motor. Looking at these after markets though can become a huge headache. 3 options. But all in all this entire thread has bashed Revtech. Nothing about an Ultima, and obviously S&S is #1 because its the oldest and has already proven itself. Yet the S&S components fail just as much as Harley components. IMO
I'm running an ultima set up in the bike in my sig below. Bought one of their package deals, 113" motor, 6 speed tranny, open primary. Had my indy talk me into trying them. To be honest I don't remember why he thought they were a safe bet. But...here I am 2 years, and slightly over 30k on her. She runs like a monster and the only problem I've had with her was one of my compression release buttons was faulty. The guys I purchased it from sent me another at no cost. I've been nothing but impressed with it. YMMV

Old 09-06-2012, 09:20 PM
sLaMMEdTrAiN12
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3408pete
Please don't ell my little eve motor this-----------its not real smart and spanks 103s that only have the stage one programming up to triple digits when the 6 spd trumps my 4 spd

Also PLEASE , PLEASE ,don't tell it that it needs CAMS,I only let it have one

haha my bad on the CAMS. Must be a hell of a lil evo to do something like that! I am actually looking into throwing a 96tc into my evo frame. Hopefully no mods so later when the evo is built back up i can throw it back in. Id like to see this evo of yours!

Old 09-07-2012, 04:31 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

If you want a Revtec, get one. I like Harleys better. What "makes" a bike a Harley? Just saying so or actually having one? Is it good enough to just have a Harley frame or does it need Harley power to be a Harley? For me, if the bike is powered by anything other than a Harley engine, then it isn't a Harley anymore. It's a Revtec. If you had a Vic motor or a Honda motor in your frame, would you still call your bike a Harley?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:13 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

An S&S engine still seems like a Harley to me, but your point is taken on Revtech.

Originally Posted by roadking2000
If you want a Revtec, get one. I like Harleys better. What "makes" a bike a Harley? Just saying so or actually having one? Is it good enough to just have a Harley frame or does it need Harley power to be a Harley? For me, if the bike is powered by anything other than a Harley engine, then it isn't a Harley anymore. It's a Revtec. If you had a Vic motor or a Honda motor in your frame, would you still call your bike a Harley?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:16 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,589 Likes on 5,164 Posts

Revtech and the rest drop the value of the bike. You may not want to except that but they do. So sad to see when some that did not know better buys what they think is a HD and latter learn the engine is not and the bike is not worth near what they paid.
They are not that great . You can do just as well if not better with HD SE parts and build.
History and facts do not always over come a cool sounding aftermarket name.

Last edited by smitty901; 09-07-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,273 Posts

I think i would rather stick with HD because of parts availability and people that can work on them. Damn , this i sa really old tread....

Last edited by Notgrownup; 09-07-2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Brain farts
Old 09-07-2012, 06:42 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Plow64
An S&S engine still seems like a Harley to me, but your point is taken on Revtech.
I have a friend that has a S&S sitting in a aftermarket softail frame and when people ask, he says he has a Harley. To me. it never was and never will be a Harley. Harleys are Harleys. S&S is S&S and Revtec is Revtec. You can't put just any v-twin in a frame and call it a Harley. You don't call a 102 Yamaha Road Star a Fat Boy now do you? And you don't put a Yamaha engine in a Harley frame and still have yourself a Harley. Revtec and S&S and any other engine maker falls into the same boat as the Yamaha engine. Put it in your bike, and you no longer have a Harley. Some seem to have some tolerance level on what you can put in your bike and still call it a Harley, but I'm not one of them. It may be a perfectly great engine, but it either is or isn't a HD, and I happen to want a Harley. If I ever went with a aftermarket engine and someone asked what kind of bike I had, I'd probably say I have a S&S engine sitting in a Harley frame. I'd never say I had a Harley.

Last edited by roadking2000; 09-07-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:48 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by exitinyourhead
what you don't know, is how much profit margin is afforded to the shop by the three vendors.

I know when I sold forklift parts the imports, trying to gain a foothold in the US, would offer much larger profit margins and incentives to push their products. They weren't always as good as the competition. I could sell the same starter, for instance, and make around 17% on the american brand and make about 40% on the import (and still have the import come in at around 10% less to the customer.)
That my friend, is why the US and European economies are in shambles. Sweat shop labor producing everything a human could need and yes it does benefit the consumer also .. cause he's going to need it when he does not have a job.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 PM
HFutrell
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at a 2001 Fatboy custom that was built with the rev tech 100. I'd like to hear more post about this, I'm making a decision tomorrow and I really am leaning away from it because of the negative things I've heard. When it comes down to it, its how well does it run and how long can you expect it to?

Quick Reply: What is wrong with RevTech engines?