General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is wrong with RevTech engines?

RevTech engines are appealing to some because of their price. Many members have reported issues with the engines and steer many people clear of them.

Read Below to find out:
-What issues people are having with RevTech engines
-What engine to buy instead of RevTech
-What issues other engines have
Print Wikipost

What is wrong with RevTech engines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a partner who put a 100" Rev Tech in his FXR about 5 or 6 years ago. He rides it 100 miles a day back & forth to work with no problems. Back then it was a 2 year warranty....

Old 01-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by hdfat2001
A brand New 80" EVO goes for $3495 in Silver or $3995 in Black.
More like $2500 & $3500.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:48 PM
bfgoodmudder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got an offer to trade my 87 softail for a near new rigid santee framed chopper with a 110 rev-tech. From what I'm reading here, the lack of parts availability is what scares me the most. The guy claims to have paid about 12k for the bike unassembled. I don't know why he'd be willing to trade for a bike that's worth half what he claims to have in his, unless he just doesn't like the lack of suspension or whatever. I suppose custom choppers have become less desireable in the last few years but all of us bike owners are dealing with a "crash" for lack of a better term. Also heard that harleys are down due to over production. This guy with the revtech is just in the next town over and we're in the middle of nowhere where you don't find many trade deals. I figured maybe slap a springer seat on that rigid and see what happens. Hell I'd probably sh** myself going from my 29k mile 80ci to that fresh 110....lol. Of course, my bike is an 87 and unmolested where the engine and drivetrain are concerned which I take some pride in. I'm wondering if any of my parts have been outside of our borders.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:53 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

know of a hessian with a revtech 100. He's on the fourth one, but that dude rides like someone's chasin him everywhere he goes.

The fourth one has held up for over a year. I think it's the 3G.

BTW...S&S, merch, revtech, ultima...all Harley Evo knock-offs. Want the real deal get an 80" crate from HD and build it up.

The following users liked this post:
Daytonavtwin (10-26-2021)
Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 AM
ac72rat
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default who knew

good info zada

Old 05-27-2010, 03:34 PM
2shotDerringer
Stage I
Default i ride a custom with a 100" revtech

brotha... i have a 100" revtech and have absolutely no problems with it ever. i've let 1-2 ft. snow storms thrash my bike for whole seasons at a time (out of sheer laziness) and everytime i turn my baby over she starts right up. i've had it for 3 years now and it's never left me on the side of the road anywhere.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:12 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 2shotDerringer
brotha... i have a 100" revtech and have absolutely no problems with it ever. i've let 1-2 ft. snow storms thrash my bike for whole seasons at a time (out of sheer laziness) and everytime i turn my baby over she starts right up. i've had it for 3 years now and it's never left me on the side of the road anywhere.
Let me guess, 3 years @ 500 miles/year = 1500 total miles.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:30 PM
hi_miler
Stage I
Default revtech 110

hi all. decided to join in after reading your comments last several months. couple years back i blew up my 1995 84 cui evo at 95,000 due to hauling a trailer at least 55,000 of that. i alternate between local running and one or two long-hauls per year. needed a bigger motor for my two wheel hauler so my dealer sold me a revtech whole drive train. 110 + 6 spd. so far, 13,000 miles no problems except the electronic ignition module failed in 1st 500 miles and that was a common item easy to find. run amsol synthetic in it. have an oil cooler on it. about to put a baker +1 for the extra quart. i don't hammer the engine but it gets long hours of moderate load and sometimes a long uphill grind.

my only complaint is about cci. cci makes themselves real hard to reach. i'm trying to call them to ask specific technical questions regarding the engine because the only paper work that came with it was the set up stuff, parts list, and exploded pix of interior assemblies.

for what its worth.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by olozada
I believe if an engine is as good as a manufacturer makes it sound and a dealer stands behind it. Then they whould give you a warranty that reflects that same level of confidence. If I spend my money on your product, I made a large commitment to your product. So, I expect you will make the same level of commitment to me. That being said Revtech gives you a 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty with their engines. Ultima gives 1 year and S & S gives you 6 months.
That sounds good at first, but it's actually backwards.

Warranties are not a measure of the manufacturer's "confidence" in their product; that's just how marketing departments spin things. Warranties actually exist as a way to entice customers into an option that is suspect in terms of quality (either in perception or in actuality). This is why a Hyundai has a 100,000 mile warranty while a Honda has a 36,000 mile warranty. Generally speaking, long warranties indicate that the company has had significant problems with either actual or perceived quality and is using the warranty as a means of reassuring customers.

Brands with strong reputations do not need long warranties because customers are already confident. Frankly, judging by just how wildly out of proportion RevTech's warranty is when compared to more respected brands like S&S, RevTech appears to be overcompensating for significant real or perceived flaws in their engines.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:22 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by harleyguy5571
You must work for Revtech lol

Seems pretty convincing to me.
He made a point and brough facts to substantiate it, while all the others just blab about "I heard this", "My friend said", "A friend of the cousin of my brother in law said"...
Warranty means the maker is ready to stand by his product.
Ultima and S&S warranties wouldn't even be legal here in Italy.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with RevTech engines?