General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is wrong with RevTech engines?

RevTech engines are appealing to some because of their price. Many members have reported issues with the engines and steer many people clear of them.

Read Below to find out:
-What issues people are having with RevTech engines
-What engine to buy instead of RevTech
-What issues other engines have
Print Wikipost

What is wrong with RevTech engines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 04:29 PM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
That sounds good at first, but it's actually backwards.

Warranties are not a measure of the manufacturer's "confidence" in their product; that's just how marketing departments spin things. Warranties actually exist as a way to entice customers into an option that is suspect in terms of quality (either in perception or in actuality). This is why a Hyundai has a 100,000 mile warranty while a Honda has a 36,000 mile warranty. Generally speaking, long warranties indicate that the company has had significant problems with either actual or perceived quality and is using the warranty as a means of reassuring customers.

Brands with strong reputations do not need long warranties because customers are already confident. Frankly, judging by just how wildly out of proportion RevTech's warranty is when compared to more respected brands like S&S, RevTech appears to be overcompensating for significant real or perceived flaws in their engines.
That is tantamount to saying that taking prescriptions gets you ill because healthy people don't need medicines.
A company has to honor the warranty terms. If it breaks, they have to fix or substitute it for free. Which is a BIG cost for the company.
And, guess what, stuff with long warranties rarely breaks.
Following your line of reasoning, lifetime warranty would indicate the ultimate crap.
Just as an example, the new Kia Cee'd has a 7 years warranty, and is indeed one of the most reliable cars around. The Toyota Yaris has 5 years.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:35 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An engine is only as good as the owners maintenance...If you drop in an aftermarket motor and immediately beat the crap out of it, you're playing with fire!!

Old 07-02-2010, 06:09 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
An engine is only as good as the owners maintenance...If you drop in an aftermarket motor and immediately beat the crap out of it, you're playing with fire!!
+1 on that. I think alot of people rag the s**t out of "high performance" engines without proper break-in and maintanence and complain about how crappy the company is when it blows up...

Old 07-03-2010, 07:00 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

They sure had their share of problems at first,haven't paid much attention to them lately with all the premium motors R&R,Hyperformance,S&S,and others.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:48 PM
SportsterBart
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this bike, it's for sale and thats why I'm wondering about these motorsName:  P1000592.jpg
Views: 5958
Size:  148.5 KB

Old 09-16-2010, 11:20 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a clean bike to me. I would ask the owner for service records. As stated earlier proper maintanence is key to longevity.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 AM
El Dee
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The evel one

I've built two motorcycles, both rigids, one an S+S 124 EVO and the second an S+S 98 Shovelhead. I broke both in according to S+S guidelines. Never a problem with either except the 124 kept bending rear axles. Looking at building my third this winter and will be talking with S+S about their P-Motor {Panhead}. Looks killer to me.
Bart that scooter looks OK from here. If you haven't rode a rigid before...Well..I'd suggest going on as long a ride as possible.. The main thing is look out where you're headed...Those pot holes can be a little rough. I've seen several Rev Tecs make lots of miles. I can tell the most about an engine by riding and listening to it.
Any engine is only as good as the service it receives. Personally I wouldn't want a Rev Tec and I don't like CCI either. Say what you will about Made in the USA...I'll take it if I can get it...Even better if it's from the good old South....

Old 09-17-2010, 03:04 AM
32vld
Road Master

They can be good engines, are good engines, the thing is you won't have a Harley when the installation is done. If the engine goes you can always go with your first after market choice engine.

Why put a 289/351 into Chevy, 283/350 into a Ford?

Do you want a Harley or a home built?

Old 09-17-2010, 03:11 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by olozada
You know the only problem I have is....people saying how bad Revtechs are but have never had one. I have been shopping for an engine and to make it fair, I asked dealers who sell all 3 ( S & S, Ultima and Revtech). Here is what I have found and don't tak my word, look into it yourself. 8 out of 10 dealers will tell you these things about all 3:

Revtech is cheaper because it was made in Korea. But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts. So the buy American crap doesn't hold water; they are built (Assembled) in America.

S & S cost more and is used more. Ultima falls second in terms of cost with Revtech coming in 3rd at cost.

If you look around and ask questions you will find plenty of people who have had problems with all 3 and people who stand by all 3. However you will hear plenty stories about "my friend had". It boils down to assembly. All the problems end up being because something locked up because it was assemble wrong or improper spacings or torque.

I have been leaning towards a 110 Revtech and here is why:

I believe if an engine is as good as a manufacturer makes it sound and a dealer stands behind it. Then they whould give you a warranty that reflects that same level of confidence. If I spend my money on your product, I made a large commitment to your product. So, I expect you will make the same level of commitment to me. That being said Revtech gives you a 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty with their engines. Ultima gives 1 year and S & S gives you 6 months.

So the more money you pay, the less warranty you get in return. I don't care what people who don't have a Revtech are saying about them. Like the old saying goes "put your money where your mouth is". When is S & S and Ultima going to put their money where their mouth is.

One dealer told me and I quote. "We carry all 3 but if you want to know the truth; the best engine is Revtech. It has a better warranty and it is more advanced. Everyone talks S & S but they have gotten more expensive but are being made cheaper and they lowered their warranty to six months".

These are my oppinions, don't take my word..look around for yourself.
WRONG!!! 90% of Harley's parts are NOT made in Asia, get your facts straight. I'm not going to talk **** about any of your other stuff, but if you're going to quote numbers at least get them right, you're full of it on this one.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:23 AM
SMF
Banned
Default really?

Originally Posted by olozada
You know the only problem I have is....people saying how bad Revtechs are but have never had one. I have been shopping for an engine and to make it fair, I asked dealers who sell all 3 ( S & S, Ultima and Revtech). Here is what I have found and don't tak my word, look into it yourself. 8 out of 10 dealers will tell you these things about all 3:

Revtech is cheaper because it was made in Korea. But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts. So the buy American crap doesn't hold water; they are built (Assembled) in America.

S & S cost more and is used more. Ultima falls second in terms of cost with Revtech coming in 3rd at cost.

If you look around and ask questions you will find plenty of people who have had problems with all 3 and people who stand by all 3. However you will hear plenty stories about "my friend had". It boils down to assembly. All the problems end up being because something locked up because it was assemble wrong or improper spacings or torque.

I have been leaning towards a 110 Revtech and here is why:

I believe if an engine is as good as a manufacturer makes it sound and a dealer stands behind it. Then they whould give you a warranty that reflects that same level of confidence. If I spend my money on your product, I made a large commitment to your product. So, I expect you will make the same level of commitment to me. That being said Revtech gives you a 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty with their engines. Ultima gives 1 year and S & S gives you 6 months.

So the more money you pay, the less warranty you get in return. I don't care what people who don't have a Revtech are saying about them. Like the old saying goes "put your money where your mouth is". When is S & S and Ultima going to put their money where their mouth is.

One dealer told me and I quote. "We carry all 3 but if you want to know the truth; the best engine is Revtech. It has a better warranty and it is more advanced. Everyone talks S & S but they have gotten more expensive but are being made cheaper and they lowered their warranty to six months".

These are my oppinions, don't take my word..look around for yourself.
or maybe they are just warranted longer because they expect them to break more often.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with RevTech engines?