General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Storage in Ohio.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:17 PM
mwigfield
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storage in Ohio.

After looking at a lot of posts about storage, I have a question that has not been answered. I'm going to be storing the bike in a 8x10 or 10x10 outside wood shed. This will be only thing in here and only used for the winter. I plan on adding fuel stablizer in it and the oil was changed about a month ago so not worried about that. The battery will be out of the bike stored inside the house and not i'm not sure of jack stands yet. Security will not be an issue since my alarm company will be installing an alarm sensor in the shed. Will the lower temps we get in ohio cause any issues with the bike? example paint issues, chrome and mainly any engine issues. I'm probably overracting but I'm allowed to.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

It's pretty cheap to stoare a bike in a warm shop.

If not,
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maint...terstorage.htm

I'm in Cleveland, and no one I know has ever had a problem come spring.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:36 PM
streetg7
Road Captain

one thing you may consider is to fog the motor...I live in ohio also...I always fog my boat motors. It coats internal parts (pistons, cyl walls etc. hope this helps.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:03 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, fog the motor. I'm another boat motor fogger. My boat has an inboard Chevy engine. It's an '85 and gets laid up about 6 months outta the year. It still runs like a top.

The paint ain't gonna go bad and doesn't need anything special on it. If it makes you feel better, put some kind of corrosion protectant on the chrome parts and then just put a cover on the bike.

I don't see the need to keep a motor vehicle in heated storage. My garage is colder than a meat locker at times and has been storing some pretty nice vehicles for years with no ill effects on them.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Used to live in OH. I also stored the bike in the shed. What I did was Fog the engine, remove Batt, spray the bare metal-alum & chrome with WD40. All was good.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:44 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

If you have electric in the shed leave the battery in it and hook up a battery tender.

Standard procedure to fog an inboard , can't say if its recommended on a bike only

because first thing next season a boat will run like absolute **** until the fogging is burnt

out ( several minutes).

Not sure how the flywheels would like it on a harley.

One things for sure is you won't have the salty atmosphere in the shed that your garage will

have from your cage tracking it in from the winter roads.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:20 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cotton Hill
Used to live in OH. I also stored the bike in the shed. What I did was Fog the engine, remove Batt, spray the bare metal-alum & chrome with WD40. All was good.
+1 on the WD 40 It would also be a good idea to roll the scoot up on some wood, helps with tire rot. I would also tape the ends of your exhaust up, critters sometimes like a nice place such as those to build a nest. Finally throw a breathable cover over the scoot, something like a white sheet, to help keep the dust off of it and will not trap any moisture.

Last edited by wescoot2; 09-06-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cotton Hill
I forgot to mention, take the seat into the house. Mice may think it's a nice new Condo.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:18 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts
Old 09-08-2009, 09:31 AM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer

another thing to consider is condensation - you could cover it and use a goldenrod (like you use in a gunsafe). That should keep the condensation off of it....

Quick Reply: Winter Storage in Ohio.