General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help find a missing motorcyclist:

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:02 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,876 Likes on 8,236 Posts

RIP, Donald.......

Old 09-21-2009, 08:26 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I was hoping for some kind of positive outcome, but the circumstances & time certainly pretty much told us that wasn't likely. Losing a loved one is extremely difficult. Not knowing is probably that much worse. I am grateful that he was found, so, at least they know where he is and have some idea what happened.

I have been impressed with the response from the biker community. For all the bad rap we get, more than any other group I have ever seen, this is a group of people who come together to help when needed, get the word out far & wide, and, it seems, we're always willing to step up to the plate to do what needs to get done.

RIP Donald. My condolences to those he left behind.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Keeg
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP Donald..

Old 09-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like he lost it in the twisties about 4 mile south of town North Fork, If I found it correctly on google maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...20757&t=h&z=12

Here is a closer look from what I read...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.006899&z=17

Local article here http://lmshumate.com/article.php?article_id=1647

Last edited by Johnnyiroc; 09-21-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:30 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Very sad to see the results end this way....rip donald masters

Old 09-21-2009, 01:34 PM
2Sore
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This describes the crash...

Just above North Fork, the road straightens out a bit and the corners switch from technical twisties to nice sweepers which continue coming out of North Fork. About four miles south of North Fork, there's a nice straight away coming into a left hand turn. It doesn't look too bad on satellite view but it's actually a deceptively tricky, decreasing radius, double apex turn that's much too easy to take much too much speed into (even at the speed limit) because it looks like an easy sweeper on the approach. About 2/3rd's the way through there's about 3 feet where it opens up and then shuts down so there's not much reaction time to adjust either one's line or speed mid-corner. It's no wonder he missed it. Anyone could have and, I've no doubt, many have in the past.

It's also no wonder that searchers missed seeing anything as they searched the road because there's a well-used gravel pull-out with lots of tire tracks and a double embankment - an immediate ditch and then a rise with tons of over-growth and reeds hiding a second ditch with another rise with tons of over-growth and reeds before the river. Even knowing where to look, the vegetation looked undisturbed.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

My condolences

Last edited by Gliden; 09-21-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:38 PM
DukeofEarl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP Donald Masters and condolences to the family.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 07bobber
Very sad to see the results end this way....rip donald masters
I agree, sitting here feeling ill after looking at the site on google maps.

If I had to hear anything bad I would rather have heard they found him in some little town, in a run down hotel passed out, with beer cars everywhere and a couple hookers at his side.

Rest in peace unknown friend.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:59 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Sore
Just above North Fork, the road straightens out a bit and the corners switch from technical twisties to nice sweepers which continue coming out of North Fork. About four miles south of North Fork, there's a nice straight away coming into a left hand turn. It doesn't look too bad on satellite view but it's actually a deceptively tricky, decreasing radius, double apex turn that's much too easy to take much too much speed into (even at the speed limit) because it looks like an easy sweeper on the approach. About 2/3rd's the way through there's about 3 feet where it opens up and then shuts down so there's not much reaction time to adjust either one's line or speed mid-corner. It's no wonder he missed it. Anyone could have and, I've no doubt, many have in the past.

It's also no wonder that searchers missed seeing anything as they searched the road because there's a well-used gravel pull-out with lots of tire tracks and a double embankment - an immediate ditch and then a rise with tons of over-growth and reeds hiding a second ditch with another rise with tons of over-growth and reeds before the river. Even knowing where to look, the vegetation looked undisturbed.
Interesting description of that stretch. You would think he would have bailed the bike last minute but when you're in that situation, it's hard to say what we would have done. It's too bad. Maybe, just maybe, he may have saved someone else from making the same mistake. Makes me realize that I need to slow my butt down on unfamiliar territory and learn to respect the road a little more.

Quick Reply: Please help find a missing motorcyclist: