General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfortable Sportster - Is it Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:55 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Easy, park in livingroom, sit back in the recliner. sounds comfy to me.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:26 AM
username17
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my Sporty.
I only think "my sporty sucks" when it comes to long rides.

I understand that the Sporty isn't MADE for long trips, the touring models are.
I would like to make my sporty as comfortable as a Touring, but it doesn't have to meet that threshold to make me happy.
If I can get it to where it doesn't hurt to ride then I'll be fine.

My fear is dropping $1000+ and then still wanting a Touring model.

My saddle bags are throw over, the windshield I'm looking at is quick detachable.
So I could easily change from around town mode to touring mode.
That's perfectly fine, it's just a question of if it will be comfortable in touring mode.
I signed up for the trade-in deal where I get full MSRP.
My bike isn't paid off, but if I could pay it off before the trade-in that should easy the cost a bit.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:34 AM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The windshield will be a huge help, but you'll still be sitting on that same seat attached to that same suspension.

My girlfriend has a nightster. We just did almost 1800 miles in Colorado. 500 miles on 2 of the legs. She had a 1 inch gel pad, sheepskin, and cycling shorts and was STILL dying on that seat. If you keep it swap out the seat. Thatll make a huge difference too.

Also, you might either switch back to mid controls or put the mid pegs back on. It gives you another option for leg position and can make a big difference.

I agree that you'll get killed financially if you trade. You gotta look at what kind of riding youre going to be doing and get the bike that fits it best. If you can get the sporty to work and youre still happy with it, I'd go that route.

The following users liked this post:
skypeace (12-26-2018)
Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 AM
sparky1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you're signed up for the trade-in deal than you won't loose any $$$,trade it in and ride what you want,may take you a bit longer to pay it off,but you'll have a nice cruising bike.AS suggested above maybe rent couple of bikes for a day or so to make sure its what you want.Good luck and ride safe.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:33 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sportster can be pretty comfortable but its never gonna be the same as a decker.....that said; I had one for years and I had it pretty much perfect after a while.....gotta find the right seat and experiment with the right bars/riser/foot position combo. Once you get that then its pretty comfy........heck; guys ride rigids all over the country; if the bike fits is can be comfortable.

I'd play around with what you got before dropping a bunch of $$$ on a new one. Also you might want to think about putting the mid pegs back on so you can put your feet underneath you (it does help) and get the 1200 kit put on as well. You\d be surprised how much easier it is to ride a bike that isn't screamin to go hiway speeds

if you do decide to get a new one why not look at a dyna? same style as the iron but bigger, smoother and more comfy...and WAAAAAAYYYY cheaper than a street glide. The price diff between the iron and a SG is over $12,000 even if you get full MSRP for you iron; go ahead and spend a grand (probably less) on the iron and see if you can get what you want out of it.....keep in mind that you are going to do what? one? two? trips a year and all the rest of your riding is likely around where you live.....so if you trade up to a touring bike you are going to be dropping $12K plus tax for a couple of trips.....**** you could rent a touring bike for those trips and keep the iron for a fraction of the price of trading up.......have I ever steered you wrong?

Last edited by CRF; 09-14-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 AM
username17
Cruiser

Yah I think I am going to stick with my Sporty.
I will definitely be doing MORE around town rides than road trips.
That's what I like about the bags, windshield, etc. I can pop them on and off as needed.

I can't put Mid pegs back on because of my pipes.
They require forward controls.

I could put Highway pegs on the engine guards and be able to stretch out even more.

I'm going to go test drive some bikes and see how they feel.
But I'm 90% sure I'm going to stick with my Sporty.

I'd rather spend $1000 on a bike I love, then spend 20k on something I might not.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:34 AM
spikehyre
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by username17
Hello,
I just got back from my first road trip, 1500+ Miles on an Iron 883.

Before this trip, I never rode it any longer than to and from work which is about 20 minutes on the interstate.
It's a blast to ride and I truly LOVE the bike.

But after doing a long ride, I need to either trade it in or make it more comfortable.
I added forward controls a few months back when I got new pipes and it actually got less comfortable.
Before my legs were under me and acted as shock absorbers.

Ever since I walked in a HD Dealership I wanted a Crossbones.
I got an Iron to learn on, but I ended up loving it too much.
Money is a big issue and I figure if I'm going to spend upwards of 20k on a bike, it's going to be one of the touring models instead.
I'll never ride 2-up on the bike so I don't want something with the touring package. I don't like the Road King or the Ultra classic.

I stopped by the Outer Banks Dealership in NC on the way home.
The street glide was the most appealing to me.
When I at on it I had no problems picking it up or handling it. Was sitting with my feet flat on the ground.
It's definitely bigger and heavier than Sporty, but I think I can handle it.

However, I still love my Iron. In a perfect world I'd keep my Iron and buy a Street Glide. But that's not possible.

I want to know how comfortable a Sportster can be and if it would be comparable at all to a Street glide or some other Touring bike.

A friend had a clamp on windshield that I can buy, I'd probably only use it for long trips and/or cold weather.
I got saddle bags for the trip and they're growing on me, maybe a windshield would grow on me too.
Also, I think I would notice a difference with fatigue, since I wouldn't have to hold myself up against the wind.

It defintely needs a new seat and I hear shocks make a huge difference too.
The sales lady I spoke to did point out that on the street glide my knees are below my hips which straighten my spine.

It's not that way on my Iron, I swear I bruised my tailbone I was in so much pain/discomfort.

If I wanted a backrest, I'd need to buy it plus pull back handlebars and possibly wiring extensions.

I'm in a tough spot, I had a GREAT time on the road on my Sporty.
I know that I would do it a LOT more if I could make it comfortable.

I just don't know if I should drop more money on making the Sporty comfortable or just trade it in for a Street Glide.

When I sat on the street glide I had no problems picking it up, I was able to sit and be flat footed on the ground. I don't think I'd have any problems handling it.

Before I do anything, I'm going to test drive a bunch of different bikes to see how they feel.
But I don't want to drop more money on my Iron just to find out it's still not good enough for the long hauls.

Any thoughts?

Your knees must be hinged like a grasshopper to get below your hips.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 AM
username17
Cruiser

Nope, they were forward resting on the floorboards.

I think a Mustang seat might raise me up a little which would have the same effect.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:10 AM
MaroSteve
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just out of question, how tall are you?

Old 09-14-2009, 11:24 AM
username17
Cruiser

About 5'10" but most of my height is in my legs.

Friend of mine sat on some touring bikes and could only touch the ground with 1 toe.
I'm flat footed on each bike I've sat on.

Quick Reply: Comfortable Sportster - Is it Possible?