General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 02:14 PM
smokinfromshootin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Upgrade Question

Just bought a 2015 Road Glide Special. The stock pipes are emasculating. If I upgrade those without upgrading the air cleaner, do I need to put in a tuner as well or can I wait until I get the air cleaner?

Old 05-27-2015, 02:19 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Turn down the radio if you want to hear the exhaust.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't need a tuner if you just slap on some slip-ons. Just about everyone who thinks they're going to throw on some slip-ons to save money, ends up going all the way anyway and loses the money they spent on the slip-ons they bought to save money. I'd save yourself the time, trouble and money and just get the pipes, intake and tuner all in one shot. Slip-ons sound like ****. They'll sound great in the beginning, much better than stock, but chances are after 3 months you're going to hate them.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:28 PM
smokinfromshootin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I had no intentions of getting slip ons, just wanted to pull the trigger sooner on the pipes than saving for pipes, tuner, and a/c.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:33 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior

I'd go for it. Worst case is it'll run a little lean, but I don't think too bad. You'll have time to get the other items. I ran mine with the pipes and air cleaner for a week before I got the Power Commander. Lean as hell, but still ridable. Pulled the plugs the day I put the Power Commander in and they were destroyed. If you're just the pipe though, I think you'll be okay. You'll still need a tuner eventually. Anything more than a slip-on and you'll need a tuner.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:56 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

About 2 years ago I put slip-ons on my bike (V&H Monster Rounds) with a K&N filter and no tuner. The bike runs great and contrary to what Thumper says, they sound even better now than they did when they were new.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Steve635
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The American Custom Exhaust (site sponsor) slip-ons sound great and are designed to work with the stock AC and tune. I was going to get these but then decided to just bite the bullet and go the whole Stage I route. If you go that way, check out FuelMoto, great prices and customer service.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:21 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior

One thing I have to say about FuelMoto is that they loaded the wrong tune on my Power Commander when they shipped it to me. It was way too rich, resulting in 90 miles for a 4.6 gallon gas tank. I loaded a canned map from Dynojet's website and it's running like a champ now. I'll never rely on someone else to download a map for me.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Contrary to what most say, stage one, map it with the new pipes. I like V&H Big Shots Staggered because of the power chamber over the the 2 into 1. That's just me. I could have went true duals with fishtails but I didn't.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:27 PM
on3wego
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with the person that said you'll outgrow the slip ons pretty quick. Unless you get a hell of a deal on a set. I figure why pay for something your gonna replace again though.

Fuelmoto does have pretty decent package deals tho. If you piece it together yourself, I would at least get the tuner from fuel moto cause you can get tech support and free maps as often as you need them.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Upgrade Question