Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

P

Old 06-17-2006, 02:50 AM
Prospect
Default Shortcut to Myrtle Beach?

Driving to Myrtle Beach Monday for a wedding and trailering the Fat Boy. Leaving Northern Virginia and heading 95 south. MapQueest takes you to 40 ( think its exit 81) south. Looking at a map, it looks like you could exit on 264 and go into Wilson maybe a short hitch on 301 and then pick up 117 and cut a nice 30-40 mile piece off the mapQuest directions. Problem is on my map, 117 is a double dotted line. Is that road finished? I am calling it 117 because it runs parallel to 117. Can anyone help me out here? Is this a shortcut? Thanks, Ed
Old 06-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Shortcut to Myrtle Beach?

mileage may be shorter, but you may be red-lighted to death on some of those towns you have to go through. use the freeway, faster, no stops
"As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials." - Newt Gingrich
Old 06-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

On the down side, in addition to the traffic lights, some of the towns have speed limit changes from 55mph to 25 mph in the wink of an eye. Can you say SPEED TRAP[:@]

On the up side, if you have the time, taking back roads will revive your sense of adventure. It all depends on whether your focus is on the ride getting there or your arrival at your destination.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Road Master

I-40 to Myrtle Beach? Those guys at Mapquest are smoking crack.

Take I-95 South all the way into South Carolina and then pick up Highway 501 S to Myrtle Beach.

Go back to Mapquest and type in Lumberton, NC as the starting point and Myrtle Beach as the destination. That will show you how to get from I-95 to 501 S. Basically, it's exit 181 off of I-95 in SC. That will put you on highway 38 over to 501 S (about 7 miles). Once you're on 501 S, it's a straight shot to Myrtle Beach.

BLUZILLA

Ride it like you stole it!
Old 06-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Prospect

Well we take 95 S to Dillon and take US 9 into N. Myrtle then down to Myrtle. Nice ride and fairly quick. But the 501 route is just as good and maybe a bit quicker.

MY WEBSITE: http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/ABN69/
Old 06-18-2006, 08:36 PM

P

Tags
40, 95, bb, beach, cycle, dotted, double, easy, electrical, florida, lines, myrtle, quicker, sc, shortcut, white